I am suffering from chronic angioedema. They are not sure that causes it, even though they did several tests. Anyway, they suspect on food, so I cut of egg, milk, fish, shellfish, nuts and seed for now, to see what will happen. Why is so difficult to find the cause of chronic angioedema? What can you tell me about it?

Well, in many cases of chronic angioedema no cause can be found in spite of extensive testing and foods may cause angioedema, although true food allergy probably causes less than 1 in 20cases. It is called chronic if it goes on for more than a few weeks and Doctors call this condition idiopathic angioedema, but it simply means that doctors don't know the cause! I know about the case when it was triggered by meds, so as the list of things which can cause angioedema is long, and new causes are always turning up, the possibility that external triggers are responsible should always be considered.