I've been diagnosed with angioedema. I've been taking antihistamines (Claritin and Zantac), and they seem to have reduced recurrence. However, I continue to have flare ups every time I try to lose weight. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of diet and exercise is involved -- as soon as the pounds start coming off, my angioedema becomes a big problem, and it doesn't go away until I stop losing weight. It makes sustained weight-loss impossible. It's as if my body is reacting to something stored in my fat cells, and when they shrink, that substance gets dumped into my system and I have an allergic reaction. Has anyone else had this problem?

Don't know about the weight loss contributing to angioedema episodes. But anything which adds "stress" can certainly contribute to a flare-up. Exercising is a mild form of stress on the body; lack of adequate rest; and even "stressing" in your mind about trying to drop those extra pounds can all contribute to your swelling. Mine's idiopathic, so beats me what's causing it. I have noticed a pattern, however, in the amount of extra stresses I experience and the amount and severity of swellings. And as a side note, many of those anithistamines used regularly can add weight to you, too. Good Luck!

I have had the same problem - every time I lose a few pounds, I am in the hospital with a throat swell, and none of my doctors seem to think that there is any correlation (even though this has now happened FIVE times!!).

While I don't know what the trigger is, it's for sure real in me. Glad to know I have company!

I read that weight loss can cause mast cell degranulation, which releases histamines, which can cause allergic reactions. I then read that spirulina stopped mast cell degranulation in rats, so I gave it a try. With a combination of one Claritin and 150 mg of Zantac, along with three teaspoons of spirulina per day, I seem to have fixed the problem. I've lost 18 pounds on my current diet without a single reaction. Before I added the spirulina, I couldn't drop five pounds without serious swelling. I'll keep you updated, but so far so good.

I'm having a Angioedema flare up wright now and I was thinking the same thing. But see, I have Crohn's disease too and that das not help!!! Is anybody there with the same problem? My flare ups are always in my face and throat. The doctor say most likely is from the Crohn's disease.

Fat cells can house and release hormones that can increase your estrogen levels and thus trigger swelling.