Stress and poor diet flip a chemical switch that facilitates obesity. Researchers subjected mice to chronic stress and then gave them standard feed or a high fat, high sugar diet. After three months, only the mice that were both stressed and fed junk food were obese. The nasty combo produces high concentrations of chemicals produced by fat cells that together create more fat cells. Researchers then injected mice with a drug that blocks this interaction, after 2 weeks of daily injections, 50% of their fat had melted away. Scientists may have discovered how mammals bodies switch fat production on and off, which could some day help combat obesity.

I am interested to know what this interaction-blocking drug is. I wonder when human trial will begin. This is great news for those of us who want to reduce the fat in those problem areas.