Locked New Topic Followed by 1 people
I was just released from the hospital after an acute attack of pancreatitis(my first). My pancreatic "juices" were way out of wack, and my potassium level was almost nil. After being NPO for a few days, the levels were better, and I was put on full clear liquid diet. One day of that, and I was released from the hospital, much to my dismay. I am still hurting, and food does NOT agree with me. So far I have tried scrambled eggs, toast, milk, and some thin minestrone-like soup. So far, the only food item that doesn't hurt is water. The physican did not give me ANY diet plan or meal tips or anything that could possibly keep me alive, so can anyone here help me? Or send me a link to somewhere that can give me food tips and stuff? Thanks so much in advance!

Brattinella

I had acute pancreatitus and was in the hospital for more than 6 days. Collapsed lung, very bad shape. I was told by my gastroentoologist specialist, this:
no gas producing or spicy foods.
No fat period. no fried foods (don't digest it well)
Lay off all dairy for at least 3 weeks, and introduce it back slowly
I had diabtese during, so I off all sugar and carbs
no soda, diet or otherwise, stick to water as much as possible or decafe
no juices, stick to fruit and veggies in mother natures packaging.
Steam the veggies
No red meat for a month, then stick to no more than 3 times a week.
no heavy straches _baked potato etc, for a couple of weeks and then slowly introduce them back
Say good bye to bacon, and sausage - fatty meat (or go turkey)
and no nicatine, I can't remeber why, but as I had a collaped lung and needed oxygen, then couldn't smoke anyway after, I quit that day

Thank you, guest, for your reply. It is very helpful in that it points me to the direction my diet should be going. I am ALMOST inclined not to eat at all, or just eat jello or broth. I tried canned 'beefaroni' today, half a can around 11 am, and it went down fine. I tried the second half of the can around 4 pm and I thought I was going to die, it hurt so bad. How is your experience going? Are you getting better? I do hope so!

Hi Dear, They do not know what diet is better for pancreatitis. I am suffering it myself. I would tell you not to drink alcohol at all or fat. Our problem seems to be we do not digest food so my conclusion is be should eat tender things and go for a more naturist ingest. They say also that we have a lack of vitamin b12 talk to you doctor about taking it or not. What I am doing is trying to eat things little by little and see how my body react; the problem is that I am weak and I need to eat but my body refuse the food. Anyway I am trying to avoid all kind of fat including eggs, milk or cheese. Yesterday I eat an egg fried in the morning with bread and one slice of beacon and 4 hours later I was vomiting, anyway here I am trying to eat something less "aggressive".

Take care my dear

Hi to you, dear,

Thanks for your advice! After going through what you are going through, I have found a few things it is not painful to eat. Plain bread with sliced turkey and a little mustard (maybe try a little light mayonnaise) seems to be the best food I can eat lately. Also apple juice is wonderful. I can eat about half a sandwich in one day, and a couple glasses of juice. The good news is I have lost 15 pounds! From all the articles I have read, carbohydrates and protein (bread and meat) are the suggested diets. Just take it slow and eat a very little at a time.

Good luck to you!

Brattinella

~shower the people you love with love~

To Bratinella
I had an attack of pancreatitis on 2 Jan this year, spent time in hospital on potassium drip. I was referred to a specialist and had my gallbladder removed on 31 January 07. In the period before getting my gallbladder out, I cut out all fat and anything with added sugar. Just had fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat with no fat (I cut it all off). I had no bacon, corned meat, sausages or minced beef as these all have fat. I also had no dairy products except for yoghurt. I don't drink alcohol or tea or coffee, so it wasn't hard to drink water with slices of lemon in it which was usual for me.
I have found this diet useful. Wholegrain bread, no margarine or butter (I used pickles, mustard or low fat dressing instead) but you can have salad, tomatoes, gherkins or chicken, turkey, salmon, cucumber etc sandwiches. For potatoes, I put mint sauce on them instead of butter, ate coleslaw (try to drain off the dressing as much as possible). I ate lots of cooked tomatoes and onions, chicken and vegetable soup, kumara (sweet potato) and pumpkin soup, fresh fish and fresh vegetables and most fruit. I also drank a little apple juice and ate low fat yoghurt. I was never hungry as I ate small amounts and often with lots of water. I didn't eat canned food as they have preservatives etc in them, but did add soup mixes to my soups to add flavour. Yet I still had two attacks in that time but they were times when I think I ate too much at once. I think the secret is to eat very small meals (like half a slice of toast), wait 20 minutes then see if you are still hungry. It was surprising that I wasn't and don't need as much food as I thought. It was good to lose approx 1 kg (2.2 pounds) every week.
Now that I have had my gallbladder out, I am introducing dairy products slowly and still trying to limit my fat intake (I like wearing size 10 again!) and trying to remember that you don't need to eat a large plateful of food. It's ok to eat half and put the other half in the fridge till later on.

thank you all so much for posting this information. I have collaspsed bile ducts from gallbladder disease. My gallbladder was removed but my bile ducts were damaged and i have had five ERCP procedures done to reopen them, each time i get a case of pancreatitis and i get tired of jello and apple juice.
I have found that spagettio's go down well also, and was suprised they are low in fat.
Talking with the nurses they have said that sugars like in applesauce may also irritate it but i have found if i eat small portions and often it doesn't hurt so bad.
my diet is kinda like this
Breakfast
toast with jelly or cream of wheat, or instant oatmeals, apple cinnamon is good
morning snack
rice cakes with apple sauce
grapes, or an apple sliced up
lunch
bread with mustard, or fat free ranch dressing with turkey and cucumbers
half a can of spagettio's
afternoon snack
rice cakes with apple sauce, or grapes, or an apple sliced up, or these great new dole fruit sorbet's that i found at walmart/target. or popsicles
dinner
cooked carrots, or beets or peas or corn, fresh, not from a can a baked chicken breast, or rotisseri chicken, something that cookes the fat off of the chicken, then pat it with papertowel most of the fat is in the skin, so always make sure you remove the skin before cooking.
then of course a snack before bed
one of those sorbets or a popsicle or a rice cake with applesauce.
i have also tried the simply smooth foldgers coffee.. some days it's good, some days it's not.

anyone else have any diet plans like this? or know where i can get one? you can see i'm kinda limited on variety.. although i have to say i'm enjoying my slimmer body alot as well as my Husband.. just wish i felt better

I am also suffering from chronic pancreatitis. And had a pseudoocyst that had to be drained. I am now suffering from what to eat and not eat. I weighed 173 and now I am down to 130. Yes it is great to be smaller but unable to enjoy it because I am sick all the time. Doctors now want to put a tube in my stomach so I can eat, which is difficult at times. And I have another cyst that has more fliud in it. My question is How long is this going to last and when will I be able to eat like normal people again. Thanks for sharing all your food ideas.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one going through this.

My wife had necrotizing pancreatitis in 2004. She went into the hospital in Oct., and I finally got to bring her home in July of 2005. She had five surgeries, and bunch of other proceedures. She went in @155lbs, and came home at 92lbs. The Drs. managed to save about thirty percent of the pancrease, so she isn't diabetic, but she constantly has trouble with flair ups, and such. And eating is a real problem. We like good old country cooking, and that isn't working for her anymore. We are trying different thing, but the variety is pretty limited, and boring.

Well, it's been a while, but I am finally eating (somewhat) normally. I still cannot eat large meals without running to the toilet, but if I keep the meal slightly smaller, I can eat anything I want. I seem to gain weight very rapidly if I eat a full-sized meal (that sucks!). Hope all of you are getting better, my best wishes and prayers!

I too have recently been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. I was glad to see I'm not the only one with the dilemma of trying not to lose weight on a low fat diet. Here are some of my favorites...low fat white bread , toasted, with honey. Low fat yogurt, 1/2 banana, with dry cereal. Broiled chicken breast. Any kind of frozen veggies with a 1/4tsp benecol. I make gelatin squares out of 100% bottled fruit juice, cut it into 1 1/2x1 1/2 inch squares and eat no more than 2 at a time. They make a good between meal snack.
Saltines go down pretty well. I haven't tried it but a nurse friend tells me if you whip liquid tofu into plain soup (don't use canned, too fatty, too salty) it tastes like a cream soup.
Recipe for gelatin squares
8 pkg. plain gelatin
64 oz. bottle of clear juice(eg. cranberry/grape)
1 cup sugar ( or splenda if for wght reduction)
a large pyrex, rectangular dish to hold it all.
Heat the juice to just under boiling, add to getlatin and sugar while stirring to melt. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares. Hope this helps!

Hope you can help My husband is in hospital, has been for 4 weeks and there seems no end to his pancreatitis. Is it normal to not feel any better 4 weeks later he has had massive weight loss and still unable to eat properly due to pain in his shoulder after every meal as small as they are.
Thanks for any help/advise offered

I have had a few stays in the hospital due to acute pancreatitis. 4 since Christmas, or so I thought. These last 4 were very different than the one I originally had. The pain was more towards the tail of the pancreas instead of starting in the center of my stomach. There was also no vomitting these 4 trips. My amalayse and white cell count were up, so I did the normal 5-6 days with no food. The pain stuck around for at least 1-2 weeks after I left the hospital, which was also unusual for me. After the GI doc did more test at my request, it seems that my spleen is damaged. What I thought was pain in the tail of the pancreas was the spleen. There was also a severe pain in my left shoulder that everyone told me was deferred pain. Turns out, that is a sure sign of spleen problems when it goes hand in hand with pain under the left ribcage. Breathing too deep caused extreme pain. Now I am off to have my spleen removed. I am told that I am much better off than had I actually been having that many pancreatitis episodes so frequently.

Always second guess even your trusted docs. They may just be missing something.

I just brought my 11 year old daughter home from the hospital from a bout of pancreatitis. I am looking for things for her to eat. Some of these posts were helpful, thanks. The doctors said she needs to be on a fat free diet for two months. The big problem with this is, she can't afford to lose any weight. She is only 62 lbs, very thin & petite. So far, the only things that she could tollerate was a dry bagel, hard boiled egg, and apple juice, all in very small portions. Any suggestions?