Hello I've been having problems with anxiety and constant head pain/pressure for the last 6 months or so. I have no idea how this even started, or what triggered these symptoms but its horrible. I can't sleep at night because the pressure in my head is so disturbing that when I lay down in a quiet room all I hear is a whooshing sound, or the sound of the blood beating through my head. It's almost painful in a way, but mostly just extremely uncomfortable and disturbing. Another way I describe it is, it feels like someone is squeezing my brain as tight as they can and it feels like my head is about to implode. The pressure in my head never lets up, its a 24/7 feeling and it gets worse at night when I lay down. I'm having waves of anxiety, random nervousness and even panic attacks because of this, and because I get no sleep. I have always had problems with headaches and migraines since I was about 13, but not like this. This feeling in my head is completely different than a headache or migraine.

So recently I've been going to a neurologist, and he has me on a medication called Trazedone. He told me it would help me sleep, and it would help with my anxiety and eventually help with the chronic head pain. But when I take this medication, (I've been on it for about a few weeks now.) I find that its not doing anything but making me more anxious. It doesn't make me tired every night either, and it certainly doesn't help with the head pressure. I can only think of 2 times when it actually made me feel tired, but it made me feel uncomfortable and dizzy to the point where I had no choice but to close my eyes and lay down. And I actually did end up having a panic attack because I felt like I couldn't breathe and my heart was racing.

My mother ended up having to call the paramedics for me and I was taken to the ER because my heart rate was so high. It was jumping from 69 to 149 in a matter of seconds, constantly going up and down. They said my heart beat was irregular and I was having heart palpitations. When I got to the hospital, the nurses gave me 1 mg of Xanex through my IV just to get my heart rate down.. and it definitely helped with the anxiety. The thing I find weird is that after the Xanex kicked in, I found that it completely got rid of the throbbing head pressure, and it also helped me sleep for a couple hours while waiting for the doctor. (since I didn't sleep for 3 days straight prior to that, I was worn out and the meds helped me take a nap.) I don't know why, or what it is about the Xanex but it seemed to be the ONLY prescription that helped me with my symptoms. What is it about the Xanex that made my head pressure go away??? I felt normal for once, like my head was clear and the whooshing sound went away. My theory is that these types of medication are meant to calm your nerves, so I think that the nerves in my brain are very small... and when my heart beat races, it causes the blood to pump very fast into my brain, causing pressure since the blood is trying hard to pass through small veins and nerves in my brain.

I don't know, I just need an outside opinion on my story.
What is up with this chronic head pressure??
Trazedone doesn't seem to be working, but the Xanex that was given to me twice in the ER did help with the pressure and anxiety, and did help me sleep.
Has anyone ever had to take Trazedone and experience any bad side effects or worsening anxiety from it???
Does anyone feel the same symptoms that I've been feeling? I'd really like to know. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with my head, because I can't go on like this. :'(

Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

Lindsey

Hi Lindsey,

My teenage son also has head pressure. The pressure is also on the side of his face. It has been going on for five weeks and he is scared!. He has an appt with a neurologist within the week. Do you typically have anxiety? before the 6 months? How long have you been experiencing the head pressure? I'll let you know what the doc has to say about my son. Please keep me posted with your thoughts and new advice if you have any.

Take care.

Jennifer

Yes I have been experiencing anxiety for about 6 months. I made a diary of when I have a panic attack, (just to keep track and show my doctor) I write down what happens, where it happens, how long it lasts.... etc. and in the last month I counted 8 of them.... one in which I had to go to the ER for. I'm not sure if the anxiety is coming from the pressure in my head, or if the anxiety is hereditary... both my parents and their parents have had anxiety disorders so I think I'm at an age now where I'm starting to experience it.

As far as the head pressure goes, I've been having that since last July of 2009. It was after my family doctor put me on a medication to prevent migraines. (Metroprolol) It feels like ever since I was put on that medication, that's when the chronic head pressure started. It tends to hurt more on the sides of my head around my ears, and the top of my head. It's so uncomfortable it prevents me from sleeping at night because its noisy and painful. So I went back to my doc and told her I was having these symptoms, and she didn't do anything about it, she basically just told me to stay on Metroprolol and I was pissed. That is when I decided to see a different doctor because I feel like she wasn't listening to my symptoms and trying to help me like a real doctor should.

Now I am seeing a neurologist, but he keeps putting me on anti-depressants like Pamelor and Trazedone to help with the head pressure/pain... but nothing has been working. Its very frustrating!

What other kind of symptoms is your son having? Does he describe how the pain feels? Because there are certain things I can't do or else the pressure gets worse... like when I lay on my stomach and prop my head up on my hands, that is when it hurts the most. I can't sleep on my stomach. And when I bend down or lay on something hard it hurts too.

Here is something you might want to consider... if the pressure is hurting on the side of his face, ask him if he grinds his teeth at night. (He might not know if he does or not, because its hard to tell while your asleep.) But that is something that can be fixed by wearing a mouth guard at night.

Okay thanks for the reply and let me know how your son made out after his appointment!

Linds

those are called as tension headaches.try medications.botox has also been known to reduce them.

Hi Lindsey,
I too have been suffering from head pressure, rapid heart rate as well as high blood pressure for over 400 days now. I know how you feel and sympathize. I'm having to take metroprolol to control my heart rate and micardis for my blood pressure which will fluctuate with my "attacks" What I mean by "attacks" is when the pressure gets worse and my heart rate goes up, skips beats, flip-flops and blood pressure go up. The pressure in my head never goes away. I have been tested for everything under the sun to no avail and decided to get psycological testing and help which netting me nothing. I was told by 2 psychologists that I am having physical symptoms and they could not help me with that and that I needed to see an MD. Anyway, They first suspected that I had pheochromocytoma, which did match my symptoms, but unfortunately or fortunately, I don't have it. It would be easier if I did because there is a cure. I was also tested for carcinoid syndrome and in my case would have made since because I get painful chest flushing in addition to the rest of the symptoms as well as suffering from Raynaud's. I was fine one day, felt pressure building up in my ears, whooshing and fluttering sound like birds flapping wings for a few days, lost most of my hearing from the pressure and then in an instant I had severe head pressure, nausea and vomiting which the nausea and vomiting stopped after about 2 months and a prescription of Cinnarizine I got in Thailand, but now I'm stuck with this head pressure and stuck on heart medicine and bp meds. Sometimes it's difficult and can't cope and other days are ok. I can tell you that eating right, exercising 1 hr cardio daily, vitamins, floating in a hot bath or pool (seems to even out the pressure) and staying away from salt, sweets and fatty foods kind of helps a little so does cranial sacral and lymphatic drainage massage. These are things I found out of desperation because I'm by no means a health nut and have always up to this point in my life used only traditional medicine. Deperate times take desperate measures. The doctors have found some things with me. !. my spinal fluid was clear, but amber in color on the 4th tube. This is not normal. It should be clear and colorless like pristine water. 2. My spinal fluid is predominant in lymphocytes, like way too many not enough of anything else to differentiate. There should only be 70-80% lymphocytes. 3. My opening pressure of spinal fluid was just above 200 putting it at what they call "the upper limits of normal" which may sound normal, but there is a lot of debate and many think this is considered intracranial hypertension and should be treated. 4. My spinal fluid had Lyme .05 and ACE detected as well as my basic myelin protien was eleveated. I can tell you for 5 days after they drained off some of my spinal fluid I was symptom free and feeling normal. I take zanax as well and it gives some relief, but it is not a cure. As soon as the zanny the nanny (zanax) wears off I'm back to square one. In my blood work I have been having elevated chloride levels, lymphocytes, sodium, osmolalityand glucose and WBC. Low levels have been Anion gap which is so rare I believe the lab made an error, potassium and calcium. My kidney funcrtion is also going down. My kidneys are now only functioning at a moderate level. I wish I had a diagnosis to share with everyone, but I don't. My doctor is trying to get me into the National Institute of Health's Undiagnosed Illness Program, but chances of getting in are only about 1%. If we all share our labs, tests, findings, ideas maybe we can get a fix for our head pressure. We all need to brainstorm and find common factors. As for me I was on Doxycycline at the time of my illness, was living in Japan and just returned from a trip to Cambodia and Thailand. I know Doxycycline , Minocycline, Tetracycline and drugs of the same class can cause Benign Intracranial Hypertension, but how does that explain other symptoms? Basically, my doctors know something is wrong, but they don't know what. It's frustrating. So, maybe we can help each other piece by piece. Anyway, I'm hopeful for all of us head pressure sufferers to find a diagnosis and cure soon!

Hi, I think my issues are similar to yours, but definitely not as bad. My pressure is all concentrated in one side of my face, and most particularly my ear, and for the last eight months it has been accompanied by a high pitched whine. The pressure/whine are there 24/7, with no relief. As for the trazadone, let me just say that stuff sucks a**! i had it for sleeping, it didn't help me at all, the only thing it does is give me horrible dreams. If your meds are not working, find a doctor who is willing to try different meds with you. Sorry if my post isn't that helpful, i just figured sometimes it helps just to know someone out there can sympathize with you. Good luck.

Something I read online about headaches and what helps take them away is magnesium. I have been having terrible tension killer headaches for quite sometime now. Then I read something about Magnesium and how it stops headaches. It said to take 3 a day. I did that and within one day, my headaches walked out the door. I was astounded. Then after about four days, I got lax and quit taking them. Guess what? They came back. So now I am paying more attention to me cause I HATE those headaches. I used to almost feel feel like jumping out the window cause the pain was so unbearable and I hated taking 3 xstrength tylenol a couple of times a day. Hope this helps.

-Rinda

One day six years ago, I became consumed with anxiety.  Panic attacks, head pressure, foggy head, pressure in my ear, nausea, dizziness, tingling appendages appeared literally from out of the blue became my life at 26 years old. I went to numerous Doctors who tested me for EVERYTHING.   I managed with Xanax, which seemed to be the only thing that made me feel normal again for brief periods of time.  I just wasn’t my self and I longed for my old life when I felt confidant and in control.  I didn’t want to believe that it could all be in my mind and was convinced that I had some unknown disorder.   Finally, I went to a Psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Panic Disorder and GAD.  I was prescribed Celexa 20.  The first 3 weeks were hell.  The anxiety was worse than ever.  I lived in pretty much a constant panic attack and I tripled my low xanax dose to get through.  I am so glad I braved the storm because after 7 weeks on 20 mg I started to feel consistently amazing.  No more panic.  No more xanax.  A clear head, much less pressure and control over my thoughts and life again.  I feel social, friendly, confidant and hopeful for the first time in 6 years and it keeps getting better.  I urge anyone who is suffering to give it a REAL try of 2 months.  For me it was SO worth it.  I am thankful to be balanced and excited to live vigorously once again!  GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

I know it has been a while since you posted, but I had all the symptoms you have. I went to a high blood pressure specialist and also a doctor who specializes in heart rythmns. The y say I have Pseudopheochromocytoma. Acts like I have the tumor, but I really don't. They put me on Carvedilol which is an alpha beta blocker. I rarely have the extreme blood pressure attacks, last one was 210/133. But I still have the jitters and head pressure occasionally, which I take Zanax for.

yea man just like that i have been going through some hard times and i have been under alo stress but im not taking medication

Lindsey,You are not alone on this one every symptom you have is me to the exact.WoW.I took trazadone for a month and it made me feel worse,I finally got pput on xanax and this is the only thing that helps me also,I have severe panic attack in the middle of the nite,I have sleep apnea and high bp,Ive struggled with this head pressure and dizziness for seems like forever and Doctors cant seem to help.I think the xanax blocks something in our brain that senses this problem and blocks it.Well enough said keep up the fight and hopefully we will find a cure for this annoying prob.

Psuedotumor cerebri sounds like what you have

I have been having pressure in the back and sides of my head for like four to six weeks now they are not constant, but when I feel this it triggers me into a full blow anxiety attack it feels like air or something just pushing on that one spot in my head. I like the idea of keeping a log and showing my dr. I too have taken Xanax from my mother and not one time did I have the pressure the day I didn't have anymore they returned

hi guys,l have had lots of pressure on my head for so many years know,doctors always say its sinus,but l don't think so..am so sick of this to,l can't sleep,up all hours..l have lots of health problems to,lots of stress due to my health issues,sick of not knowing what to do,so you guys are not alone..my head feels like there is water in it to..going to see another doctor,hope l find out soon..life could be so wonderful..if l could know whats going on :(

Hey guys, I've been having anxiety now for about 3 months and I also have the pressure in my head, forehead, and the back and it get's so irritating...im currently taking cymbalta for depression and anxiety and Lorazepam! They had to switch my medicine 3 times now bcus i've been having side effects..but i've been taking cymbalta now for about a week and a half and my anxiety is getting better but Im still having the fast heart beat and pressure in my head.....I get dizzy alot and it feels like my head is always pounding in there and it also feels really tingly..it's a weird feeling, and it's not a migraine or headache it's a different kinda feeling and no pain meds help it.....I also get shakey so that's when I take my Lorazepam but I just wish the symptoms in my head would go away cus it's very hard to concentrate :(