New experiments showed that smoking cannabis in early pregnancies could cause many problems like miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy and developmental abnormalities.

These problems may occur due to the present of THC, the chemical in cannabis that gives the high. This chemical may change the balance of natural signaling molecules in the reproductive systems that regulate development and implantation of the embryo in the womb.

In the experiment, nine pregnant mice were injected with THC and then killed to see what happens to the embryos. The results showed that all the embryos were stopped in the oviduct, the tube linking the ovary to the uterus, and could not proceed to the uterus. This resembles human ectopic pregnancy in which an embryo implants elsewhere instead of the uterus. Those mice who didn’t receive the chemical had normal pregnancies.
Besides implanting elsewhere, the embryos of the mice given the THC, had more cell abnormalities, which means that developmental problem could occur and lead to miscarriage.

Men are not protected from the cannabis harm. Previous researchers showed that men who smoked cannabis produced less semen and had less sperm.

I'd be interested in seeing the data that proves this claim.

I'm guessing that there is NO evidence for this judgement (because it certainly isn't a statement of fact).

I'm always amused when someone says something such as this.

The anecdotal evidence to the contrary however, is vast.

Think about this (yes, i'm afraid you do occasionally have to actually think for yourselves), when was the period in our recent history when cannabis usage was most widespread...the 60's and 70's. OK, now do the research on baby boomers, and on birthrates, and miscarriage rates for those two decades. Now factor in advances in antenatal and postnatal medical care since those two decades.

You will see that there is no drop in the average numbers, in fact the reverse is so.

So the obvious question is this:

If the original poster's 'judgement' is correct, how does one expain that birth rates / miscarriage rates / anomoly rates etc have no marked increase, whilst cannabis use had rocketted?

It's fairly easy to explain actually...at least it is to people who actually think for themselves, and don't rely on a daily diet of alarmist propoganda.

Sounds about right, I'm with ya 99%...but I wouldn't take any chances. I mean, on the odd side that it actually does harm to reproductive systems and normal birth, I wouldn't want to take a chace to screw up someone's life on Earth. After all, I'd prefer to have a son/daugther to smoke with on their graduation from university than a bad memory of an abortion.

I am a pot baby, back in the early 70's they didn't think marijuana was bad.

I would bet that more than 10% of the children born in the late 60's and early 70's were pot babies.

I am not suggesting that anyone smokes pot while pregnant, but many teens and early twenties mothers would look at this article and think. "Maybe I should abort".

My Mother was 16 when she had me, and yea life was a bit rough for a year or two. But I was in the top 10% of my class for my BS and both my MS degrees. I love my life, and as far as I know beyond a tendency to enjoy marijuana I have no other ill side effects.

I looked up the research and it's actually not THC it's a different alkiloid that is released from burning the cannabis that they injected. I don't know for a fact, but it's probably not even a natural part of the plant. You do all realise that most research centers are still using nasty chemically weed that is high in carcinagins. I bet the results of these poorly done experements would be much different if they were using healthy homegrown weed. Not to mention they killed the mice? Not sure that's a normal part of a healthy pregnency. I personally wouldn't smoke in the first trimester, but lets make sure we all think for ourselves and get facts not opinions. :-) peace, love, and ganja to all.

Weed is for losers.

I really can't believe a lot of the replies I'm seeing on this site in relation to wether smoking pot is potentialy bad for you/your baby. Of course it is. I don't care what you are smoking, if you are smoking anything, you are ingesting a hefty dose of carbon monoxide. Cabon monoxide stiffens the walls of veins and arteries which is what ultimately causes strokes, heart attacks, and anneurisms later in life. Carbon monoxide will make you age faster. It kills cells.

I absolutely agree. Smoking is bad period.. I don't care how natural or not it is.. Tobacco is natural and guess what!? It causes cancer!!! It kills people!! Any woman that thinks it's ok to smoke while they're pregnant are not good mothers at all.. Smoking isn't healthy.. Why make your baby smoke? Because whatever you take in you baby takes in. It's not fair to them..

I have just lost my baby at 12 weeks.  I have never taken drugs, alcohol or cigarettes.  I have had 5 children with no problems but in from the beginning of this pregnancy have had a severe allergic reaction every single week due to having to be in contact with someone who smokes cannabis, although I have never been there when she has smoked it.  I know that this miscarriage hads something to do with having to be near this woman.  Maybe drug users should stop being so selfish as their fun/ addictions can have severe consequences on other people

Okay just saying, if your allergic to anything, contact with it can hurt you. Not many people are allergic to marijuana, but not many people are allergic to peanuts either. If your allergic to marijuana, of course its going to hurt you worse than others. I highly doubt second hand marijuana smoke on one occasion can cause a miscarriage weeks later. 

There's also another piece people are missing, being injected with marijuana is going to be much more potent than say smoking or eating. And that they are mice, a little marijuana to us can potentially hurt a mouse. But if your pregnant, smoking anything is bad. I can't see the harm in pot butter though, there are no studies on that. They oughta try that one out. 

Quote:

It isn't the marijuana directly it is the fact that I suffered anaphylaxis (caused by the marijuana- or mould on the marijuana) 10 times in the first 3 months of pregnancy. It was not one occasion. The anaphylaxis is what caused the baby to
die

Marijuana is not harmful in pregnancy.  This paragraph does not refer to any scientific study.  Propaganda is harmful to pregnancy: Pregnant women should be informed, not manipulated.

Smoking anything is harmful.  Vaporize.

And google "SCHOLARLY" articles.

Stress can cause miscarriage. Maybe you stressed about her.

dhankin wrote:

i call bull sh*t on that comment. where did you pull that out of, your ass?

Ok Just because a woman smokes does not make her a bad mother are you retarted or something