MY HUSBAND IS 32 YEARS OLD AND WAKES UP EVERY MORING GAGGING ON PHLEGM AND VOMITS EVERY MORNING AND SOMETIMES WAKES UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TO VOMIT OUT OF A DEEP SLEEP AFTERWARD HIS THROAT IS SWOLLEN AND THE DEALS THAT HANG IN THE BACK OF HIS THROAT ARE THREE TIMES NORMAL SIZE HE IS NOT A SMOKER BUT DOES DIP SNUFF.. HE IS CONSTANTLY DRINKING MALOX AND EATING TUMS NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP.. WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS? THANKS CONCERNED WIFE

I'll post a response, but seem to have the same problem. I have had relief from Nasal Sprays before I go to bed (Rhinocort). I also had surgery to clear out my turbinates in my nose. That seemed to work for about a year, but for the last week I've been vomiting up phlegm every morning. I've been to 2 different ENTs with no success in my opinion. I'm allergy free, which is always everyone's first assumption.

Hoping my post gets attention to your husbands problem.

My fiance and I have the same problem. He's been gagging for over 10 yrs. I have been gagging for 4 or 5 mths. It is just in the morning's. As soon as we get out of bed the coughing starts. Then it go to gagging up phlegm or vomiting it up. He dips snuff too. I smoke cigarettes. I've wondered if this was the problem or is there something we dont know about. I have searched a alot of forums and this is the only one that fits to a t. I'm glad I found it know we just need some answers.

Same thing happens to me...seems to worsen in the cold whether. I keep hacking up phlegm and eventually it forces me to have to vomit. It began happeneing when I was around 17 and fractured my lower back but I don't think that had anything to do with it. I have dipped at one point in my life, have smoked marijuana more than a few times but I don't think they are the problem. The problem seems to be post nasal drip...anyone else?

I battle with excessive coughing and vomiting phlegm in the morning especially. I have found that my diet is very closely related to this. Have your boyfriend stay away from all dairy, yeast/gluten and wheat products. I know it sounds like alot to stay away from... and it is. But believe me, it will help. After about a week, he will be able to wake up in the morning without feeling the need to cough up phlegm. Start adding things back into his diet, noting what makes him react the next morning.

I have tried this and learned that my body has a sensitivity to milk, tomatoes, gluten/yeast and wheat products. If I eat any of those things, I get up the next morning coughing up phlegm.

Also look up Dr. Mercola online as he gives good info on this type of diet. It is a sacrifice, but well worth it if it makes your boyfriend feel better.
Good luck.
God bless.

21 been having throat problems my half life. Im pretty sure that smoking is the cause. Just through mere perception. I smoke ciggs alot. I smoke weed alot. I started smoken at 13. Im not sure when the sh*t started but it seem like ciggs might cause the flem to happen. Its like ever time i wake up my nasal pasage is clogged up like crazy (the portion that connects ur nasal passage to ur mouth). then it falls down my throat, makes me sick, then i start vomiting. sh*t sucks

I woke up this morning vomiting phlegm. I feel absolutely horrible!
I was totally fine yesterday, and I did nothing out of the ordinary then this!
I do not smoke or any of those things, and It will not stop. I'm sitting on the bathroom floor as I speak.
Maybe it is something different, because I'm throwing up any liquid I put

I have been experiencing this for the majority of my life as well and after visiting every doctor known to man with very limited results i think i may have figured it out. I noticed some of you said changing your diet helped greatly and the things you cut are generally foods that feed Candida(yeast infections). The phlegm is created by your immune system when it senses there is a fungus or "abnormality" that does not belong. The problem with candida is that it tends to mask itself as many different problems ranging from depression to a cold and from ADHD to a number of other things. If you do some research you will see what I am talking about it is insane how many different things a yeast infection can cause and many people have candida issues without knowing what it is. I am only 21 but being a very athletic male the phlegm has pushed me to the point of breaking. If you want to test and see if you have a yeast problem. In the morning before you do anything else fill up a glass of water and spit into it. If the spit dissipates after 10 minutes or so you are more than likely experiencing something else, however, if your spit begins to string down into the water and/or makes the water look foggy from the side of the glass then you may have a yeast infection. If you do have results from this test i recommend talking to an herbalist or homeopathic doctor as all the regular doctors i have seen and heard of will only give you medication to stop some of the symptoms but they will not kill the candida and therefore you will still have other candida related problems.

I know this isn't a definite solution by any means but my natural doctor seems to be helping now that we have pin-pointed the issue.

GOOD LUCK!! I know how much this sucks!

~Eric

I have struggled with morning gagging for several years. It can happen at any time of the year and I have believed that it was alergy related. When I gag there is always a combination of phlegm and some gas in my upper digestive system.

I believe my chiropractor has figured out the cause. It relates to having a hyatel hernia and the accumulation and bad balance of yeast (fungus- which what I have believed I was alergic to) in my digestive system. Apparently, the phlegm is the result of the ensueing infection from the overrun of bad yeast, and the gas is a result of a by-product of the bad yeast. I take Prilesec for acid reflux, but regardless, when I am horizontal (sleeping) the resulting by-products (phlegm and gas) back up into the throat area, causing the urge to gag in the morning.

He says that the key is to first kill the yeast (anti-biotics would do no good). He put me on Probiotics to aid digestion and a Fungal Balance nutrient that is supposed to kill the bad yeast cells by the trillions and balance them off with the good yeast (which an anti-biotic would also kill). I started taking these supplements yesterday along with Can-clear, to aid in eliminating the dead matter from the dead yeast via my stools. I'll let you know how it works, but I can already say that this morning showed some marked improvement and I wasn't gaggy at all. My Chiropractor says that the process take several days, but he claims the improvement is remarkable. Then he said to stay away from sugars/carbohydrates, which apparently feeds the fungus.

I'll let you know how it all works.

Have any of you considered the possibility of these symptoms being mold related? I have been reading all day and have found myself making my way to sites that are talking about exposure to certain types of mold that could cause our symptoms as well as a whole slew of other ailments. The list went on and on. It seems that moisture can cause mold to grow on gypsum board (sheetrock) and can go untreated even for years. This can be due to plumbing problems that are fixed but leave behind mold that will thrive behind the walls. Something to think about. I am going to continue to read about this and will post a more informative comment afterwards. Here is one of the pages I made my way to:

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Right I have been suffering from Vomiting in the morning most of my life. Getting worse last 3 years. I am 30. Used to throw up on way to school when i was young. I suffer from Post Nasal Drip that runs down my throat, I hardly ever blow my nose cause phlegm runs down my throat instead of out my nose.

I also have been diagnosed with IBS... although I think that this post nasal drip could be attributing to this. I also think there could be some truth in there being a fungal/bacterial imbalance in my stomach.

I used to be on lots of ANTIBIOTICS when i was younger!! Wonder if they could have destroyed my natural balance. I smoke too.

All I can think to do is continue looking at stomach balancing medications and diet? Although i have been on a non wheat and non dairy diet and it had no significantly noticeable effect!!

I have been sufferring with vomiting mucus especially in the mornings for about a year. i have done a lot of research and it does seem to me to involve some kind of immune response.i have had loads of blood test all negative.however as i un derstand it if there is a connection to candida the body may not respond with anibodies.however not too sure. i thought it may be some kind of histamine response do to allergies.If it is candida then it may have damaged the gut allowing food that has not been digested properly tp enter the blood stream causing allergic reactions.it is difficult illness to sort out. doctors do not seem to be interested.i may try to illiminate food that can encourage candida growth.

Yea I have the same Issue; I wake up gagging on phlem and sometimes puke it out. Sometimes its white phlem and other times its yellow. This happens every morning and im tired of it and a little worried. We all seem to have the same issue and no answers to it.

Yep this is had been happening to me for a few weeks now.  I smoke a pack a day but I use to smoke more and never had this problem so I will roll smoking out.  The yeast build up thing seems like that may be the problem.  If it isnt mold behind my walls (how would I even check for that?) then maybe it could be from going down on my gf?  She had a yeast infection about a month ago but I ded wouldnt go down on her if I knew she had one, maybe I did and we didnt know it yet though.  Whoops!

Well is there any point in going to a doctor?  This is getting really annoying?  I've been late to class and work because of needing to throw up small amounts of white phlegm and eventually yellow stomach acid, its so sour!  

hey i have the same problem. I am unable to keep down any liquids