I developed a chronic phlegm/mucus/snoring/swallowing/gaging to get the phlegm out problem about 3 years ago...the first real symptom was the snoring I think, but I also had a chest/sinus infection that left me with the chronic phlegm problem, which caused the swallowing problem which caused a swelling,irritation problem and a gagging to get the phlegm out problem which may be causing the acid reflux problem I have been diagnosed with. I have also been tested and found to have mild sleep apnea( the snoring problem) exept I do not have even one of the sleep apnea symptoms...I am never sleepy during the day, I fall asleep easily at night and I stay asleep( that I know of). I sometimes hear a clicking sound if I've been swallowing alot but it goes away. The snoring is so loud that my husband can no longer sleep with me and it is aweful for both of us...we miss sleeping together( though my husband does not miss my snoring like a chainsaw) When I was tested for acid reflux ( a specialist looked down my thoat) He diagnosed me with mild acid reflux ( I believe that I cause that myself when I have to suction it out of my throat at night while I am gagging to get it out and even though I get yellow phlegm out everytime...I never feel relief as it seems to feel the same in a matter of seconds. The doctor I just saw has put me on nasal steroids ( because I can snort stuff out of the back of my sinus but then gag imediately and I cough it out with the gag. She also put me on Nexium ( 20 mg 1 time a day) which from what I read may not be a high enough dosage. I will continue with a nasal flush and try a non sugar, non dairy, non wheat diet for six weeks. I have not tried the Cpap machine for the snoring yet but plan to get one soon...hit all the symptoms at once. I am really frusterated and grumpy and beging to feel like there will never be any relief. I just want a solution...I wish it was an infection that I could just take an antibiotic for ect.
I read a post once and a woman said there was a drug she took and it cured her...I lost the name of the drug...maybe you have heard of it.
Thank you for any advice.
Carla

Carla, Did you find relief from the wheat-free, sugar-free diet?

yes, that is something that she needs to do in order to avoid some problems like that. it is very important to try to avoid extremely heavy meals before you go to bed because those can only cause a snoring. Why? Because that process of digestion also relaxes the throat and tongue muscles. for example, it is better to eat ice cream before you go to bed than milk. also, about phlegm color and generally the phlegm, you should see your doctor. follow the diet but also aks someone who is an expert to give you a syrup for this issue and I am sure that everything will be ok. 

this helped me get rid of snoring

hope this helps

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi Travis3,

You said that something cured your snoring but I could not determine What that was...your post does not say...I was hoping you could clarify...

Thank you,
Carla :-)

I'm in the same boat all the same symptoms plus a few more I have really bad headaches as face pain from Sinusis and have swollen lymph nodes behind my ear I dont sleep hardly at all waking every 15-20 mins and never get into a deep sleep and feel as tired when I wake as I do when I finally fall asleep I have acid reflux chest and throat pains and vomit bile into my mouth quite regular from Bending down to laying flat for to longand have regular bouts of acid heart burn 2-4 times a week I snore horrendoudsly loud so my partner barley sleeps in our bed and if he does it's only for a few hours I'm feeling quite low as the doctors just give me antibiotics I've tried a few types steroid spray and to boot I can not use the regular decongestants due to an allergie to caffeine any advice would be greatfully recieved

I have pretty much the same symptoms Carla mentioned although was not officially diagnosed with anything yet. My symptoms all started oddly enough after a visit from my sister who had been complaining of the same problem for months.

It was determined she had a bacteria called H. pylori (aka HP). This was treated with a heavy dose of 2 antibiotics but the problem still didn't go away. Apparently this was expected because just part of the problem. She also was GERD and was put on Nexium (40mg -- started at 20mg but her GI specialist said that was way too low a dose) and has to avoid the standard food triggers.

I'm suspicious that I contracted the HP from her somehow which is creating all of these problems. Apparently there is a pretty straightforward 'breath test' where you drink urea and they determine if you have HP. That would be my recommendation since pretty straightforward to do. The HP bacteria is pretty common in people who never have any symptoms as well, it also can cause peptic ulcers which have similar problems as GERD.

My boyfriend has all of your symptoms. Acid reflux, gag reflex after he snorts like pick to get mucus out if his sinuses and then coughs up. He couches phlem up in his sleep as if he is choking, has some sleep apnea, always has a stuffy nose in the evening Especially, his snores sound like he can't breath, it's a nose/ mouth combination breathing. He falls asleep immediately when going to bed, and stats asleep the whole night. I'm at a loss!!! What did you find out?

Hi Carla,
Did you ever get this sorted?
I've been like this for years and have most of the symptoms you have. My acid reflux is caused from having a haetus hernia and I've been on nexium for over 10 years now.
Thanks Neil