After my brothers long stay and bowel surgery in the hospital, he is now home after four months. He is very weak, and seems to accumulate thick, flem in his throat which hinders him from eating. What could he do to get rid of the flem.

maybe try to gargle with warm salt water, it helps dissolve the flem. Its not just for sore throats.

you may also use fizzy po somthing strong like dr.pepper or pepsi not coke :!:

Hi there,
If you are referring to phlegm then this can be problematic after the surgery. Phlegm is a thick, slippery and sticky substance produced by the throat. The fact is that it contains mucus and sometimes other substances like dead cells, pus or dust. Us this what he is having? This can be problematic even to healthy persons and I can’t imagine how hard time does he have whit this during his recovery. In some cases this can indicate that he has some sort of infection in his body so it would be advised to consult his doctor regarding this issue. How old is your brother? What kind of medication is he using for recovery?
All the best,
Danella

Can anyone help. i always am gagging up the thick flem which has me gagging for up to 6 hours at least 3 times a day. i cannont controll when this will happen