for the past 2 years i have been going throught some rough stuff and was curious if any1 could help or is exsperaincing th same thing or any similar symptoms. so far no1 has been able to help me, i have been to all sorts of doctors and specialists and they just push me off to another doctor and tell me there is nothing more that they can do for me.

my problem seems to be because of excess mucus and a lump in the back of my throat, and trying to caugh that lump out i gag a lot and throw up constanly, anywhere from 1-15 times a day. on top of that the excess mucus fills my stomach up and makes me very nauseus. iv'e noticed in the morings it is worse, exp when i take a hot shower thats when i throw up the most and gag the most. when i get active doing things/or when it is hot it seems as if the mucus is really thin and i get a lot more of it and i will get very nauseuas as well, but if its cool weather it seems to be really thick mucus and its hard to swallow. those are my main issues is the lump in the throat and all the mucus making me very sick and vomiting, and when i talk about vomiting it is vicious vomiting, i pop blood vessles, and just last month i had to get back surgery done because i threw up so hard i hernated one of my discs. this is ruing my life i cant do anything. after i throw up i feel a bit better nauesus wise, it takes a lot out of me since i do it sooo hard. i then just have a headache all day long because of it and will get sick at random times. as i said i get most sick in the mornings and also at night. i can'd do anything. im only 25 yrs old. i cant hold a job because of this and also had to stop going to college because of it as well.

here is some back round information of what i know already.. i have acid reflux, which i take nexium and prilosec for. the gasternologists also said i have a hyetal hernia after some tests, but says that shouldnt be the problem. the ent's ive been too took a cat scan of my sinuses and it just showed a slightly devated septum. they say thats not the cause of any of this, they put me on all sorts of different kinds of nasal sprays nothing seems to help. they reccomended that i try using a saline rinse, which ive tried and i can't use it it makes me gag so that is no help.ive tryed medicines such as zyrtec and mucinex it helped with the mucus by dried me out so much the lump in my throat was onthing left there and made it soo much worse with the gagging and throwing up. the ent's pushed me off to an allergist after all sorts of testing. i have no allergies. now from vomiting so hard i started getting big red marks on my cheeks and on both sides of my nose so i went to a dermatologist. she took a biopsy and it came back as “lupus erythematosus tumidus”. so she sent me to an immunologist thinking i may have systemic lupus. blood results determind that i do not. so i went back to the dermatologist to see how to get rid of these marks. she put me on a steriod called predisone for 2 weeks which helped get rid of the red marks and surprisingly i seemed to be a lot better. after she took me off of it i started getting sick again. the lupus came back and she put me on the steriods again for about 3 weeks. and i felt pretty good. now with the steriods helping this seems to lead to something is wrong with my auto immune system. so after she took me off the steriods she put me on another medicine called plaquinel. ive only been on this medicine for 30days and it seemed to help a bit. i felt good for about 3 months due to all of this and now about 3-4 days ago everything came back the lump, mucus all the vomiting. and now im in pain too cause im throwing up and still healing from back surgery. i dont know what to do anymore. i try and keep high spirits but it's hard. no1 seems that they can help. ive been to muliple doctors too to get 2nd and 3rd opinions and they are stumped as well. i have another appointment with a new gasternologists coming up in april, he specializes in the esophogus so maybe he may have some answers.

i was a smoker for about 7 years or so. i thought that it could of been the main cause of all of this but i quit smoking about 3-4 months ago and still no relief. i live in a newer house so shouldn't be any mold or what not. i can't seem to do anything at all. this is ruining my life. if any1 at all has any of these symptoms or has any advice please im begging u please help me. please. i need some type of answers/relief this has been going on pretty much every single day for two years where i throw up 1-15 times a day violently. i cant go on like this. it would be greatly appreciated if some1 any1 could help. thanks and sorry about spelling errors.

Andreryan, you story is just amazing to me. I found your post as I am researching on mucous because my daughter is suffering from extra mucous the past few days and she has been ill with frequent vomitting for almost 2 years and is therefore extremely underweight. She is just 10 years old and I have had her to many doctors and had many tests done. Her symptoms are not exactly the same as yours yet similar. The best help I have had in figuring out her problem is through natural medicine. She has seen a Integrational Medicine Doctor and he has been a Godsend! We are finally starting to make some progress with her. I am a registered nurse and I have read many websites, articles and books on digestive problems and I would say, based on your symptoms, you fall into the same category of illness as my daughter. It is called Leaky Gut Syndrome and unfortunately, most medical doctors do not even acknowledge it. It is mostly controlled/cured through diet changes and there are some supplements that help as well. Google it and start to do some research on the topic. Dr. Mark Hyman's website is a great place to start and here is a link to some of his related articles...

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Also, I am currently reading a book called One Cause, Many Ailments; Leaky Gut Syndrome What it is and How it May Be Affecting YOur Health  by Dr. John O. A. Pagano. I think this book would be of great help to you. I have just started a blog called Healing Hope and you are welcome to follow along as I attempt to heal my daughter. I would only guess you are also underweight if you vomit so frequently so you may benefit from the high calorie, stomach healing recipes I use for my daughter.

Good Luck and I hope you find your way to healing soon :0) 

Hey Andre,

I believe I display the same syndroms as you, such as an excedent of secreted mucus , a "lump in the throat" symptom making me want to puke particularly in the morning. Also, coffee dramatically worsens my condition...
Like you I get a tiny bit relief after vomiting, if you irrestibly feel the need of vomiting, I'd suggest you to dring water and then do so, so that you puke only water out without neither damaging your intestinal tract nor emphasizing your mucus secretion (acid reflux officially contributes mucus secretion ) I experience same symptoms as you (without blood vessels vomiting), it can happen I want to vomit in particular when willing to speak, and after running a while...Do you feel like wanting to vomit when talking or after runnning too?Don't you feel like me that your envy of vomiting arises from this sensation of throat tightening rahter than a stomach nausea?
Why didn't you carry on with anti-inflammation medication if it relieved? Was it because your doctor asked you not to do so?
It sounds that all this might be due to throat inflammation or a related inflammation disorder since both medications you used (prednisone,plaquenil) are anti-inflammatory treatments, but Ican't really assert anything since I went from specialist to specialist without solving up my issue...
Perhaps Lori has a point with her "Leaky Gut Syndrome" sinc it may include inflammation reactions too...
I always wondered about the likemy origin of this inflammation if there is any...Auto-immune-disease?Exposure to chemicals?Pollution?
What I can tell you is that you're not alone with this trouble...

Please update us if you have any improvement/evolution of your health.

Michael

I have the same thing. Since Dec 2011. Its scary, embarassing and it hurts. I recently had caused myself to break little blood vessels around my eyes from pressure vomiting. I cant hold it back for long or my eyes water severly until i open my mouth and the mucus shoots out.

Hi Anderson! I to have been experiencing swallowing excessive amounts of mucus for sometime now. Which causes me to vomit up the mucus; sometimes the mucus causes me to vomit up food that I have eaten. I strongly believe that this excessive mucus that a lot of us are experiencing is caused by consuming dairy products as wells as breads containing gluten all of which can cause some people to produce excessive amounts of mucus in their bodies. I say this because I am blood type A positive and dairy foods as wells some foods containing wheat causes me to produce excessive amounts of mucus. I learned of this by doing research on the eat 4 your blood type diet web site; put together by renown Dr. Peter Dadamo. Please go to this website and research what foods are not good for your blood type; also the site recommends that you avoid dairy foods and consume nondairy foods such as soy milk, soy icecream, vege cheeses and consume less gluten free breads such as Ezekiel breads. Consuming less dairy and less gluten products many of us who are experiencing excessive mucus production should feel a whole lot better. God bless all of you with healing.

I had horrible mucus try claritin d behind the counter have your id ready they will ask depending where you live I tried everything that worked for me.

Andre, There are so many foods that can aggravate this. These ranging from, caffeine, sugars, dairy products even gluten. So it is best to know what you could be allergic to and this kind of mucus can be bacterial so there might be the need for antibiotics. Do we not call this Post-nasal drip

I have been also having this problem for years now. I think it started around 3rd or 4th grade and I am only 13 in 8th grade now. Mucus in my throat will cause me to gag, than eventually vomit. This has been a very difficult problem to deal with, and I've had to quit soccer and track. Its very embarrasing, painful, and frightening.

I feel the phlegm in my throat, and thats when it get jostled is when the gagging starts. When I feel it coming I try to stay absolutely still, and wait for it to go away. This can be difficult while school, and I become incredibly anxious whenver it happens in public. I've seen your post before Andre, and never posted a response until now. It is especially emabarrasing explaining this to people when it happens at school, so I tend to just stick with, "oh i was just feeling sick." When I get anywhere close to actually telling them the truth, they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about.

This problem limits how much I can run without throwing up, and I had to quit in the middle of the soccer season twice. The vomiting has happened countless times, and it is terrible in public. It isn't normal. When I start, I can't seem to stop unless I concentrate on taking deep breaths and not swallowing as feeling the phlegm makes it worse. I require large amounts of water nearby when it happens to wash the phlegm away, or it gags me more. This makes me apprehensive about starting any sports or going places without a water bottle handy.

On a related note, dryness of the mouth and throat also started about the same time as the first problem. This also causes me to gag hence the need of water close by. I am allergy heavy, and this "condition" is ruining my life worse than it already was. I am scared it will follow me forever. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to add (same guy from above ^)

I've told my mother about this, and my siblings too, but no one seems to take it seriously, making me wonder whether this is a mental disorder rather than physical. I know that most people that have phlegm in throat can just hack it out, but I don't really know how to do this, and when I try, it doesn't help.

I had this too for 22 years. Finally found out that it was related to coffee. I'm not yet sure but I think I have an allergy to coffee. Coffee allergies are a bit unusual because it doesn't produce the common signs of hives or rash breakouts. And because of the caffeine, respiratory collapse won't happen either. My only symptom was a constant gagging feeling of a lump in my throat which I had to alleviate by forcefully blowing thick mucus out through my nose and then using those listerine tongue dissolves. Docs put me on all kinds of meds which didn't help except for antihistamines which hinted at an allergic reaction to something constant that I was exposed to. But after a while, the antihistamines stopped working because I was still drinking coffee at the time which created an uphill battle for the meds. Switching from coffee to green tea improved my condition immensely to the point where it only happens if I get a bad case of the flu. Hope this helps someone.

I have replied to similar posting so I apologize if this is redundant.

I’ve been reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I’ve been there – done that for many years. I’ve seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx’s. I’ve been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I’m not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I’ve come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator.  When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad] in your system – this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I’m not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I’ve pieced together with some research] There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them – doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I’ve been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I currently take 3 capsules 2X daily] This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot – maybe 80% or more. [I’m reluctant to say that I’m cured]

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren’t a solution for me – Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure but I still use Flonase. So thanks to another on-line posting, I’m trying Quercetin which you can find in the health food/vitamin store.  So far, so good! It seems to be working.

I hope this information works. Do your own research on this topic. The Doc’s have limited understanding of the condition.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Good luck.

Hi everybody, 

i have these symptoms as well. Mine get worse on exposure to toxic substances. Today I found some posts on "achalasia." Bingo! It matches. So a hand full of specialists do know what it is but they don't know what causes it.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

In 1996 I got sprayed with Monitor,an organophosphate insecticide. It kills by damaging the acetylcholine/Acetylcholinesterase cycle. Notice in the research that acetylcholine in nerve endings are involved. OP pesticides are only one toxin that effects acetylcholine. Intermittent contact with a toxin that acts upon that neural pathway might explain the randomness of your symptoms. Mine flairs when I'm exposed to anything toxic now. Even perfumes and fragrances from other peoples personal care products. Hope these insights help. ~ Toxed2loss

Please note that I'm Lori C., not the original Lori here. I love her advice tho!!

I just wanted you guys to know that although Claritin worked for my lump, OMEPRAZOLE (generic for over-the-counter Prilosec) helped me MUCH MORE!! Good luck to everybody!!

So sorry to hear of your suffering. Try fasting to completely cleanse your body. Just water and vegetables. Make a veggie soup. Give yourself at least three or four days. Then feel what your body is saying before you eat anything else. Above all, Pray and ask God to tell you what you need to do. God Bless you.