I have always had chronic congestion and sinus problems. Recently, I have either had a sinus/allergy "attack" or a cold (although no one else in the family has gotten sick). In any case, at the end of a miserable few days, last night I blew my nose literally for at least 7 minutes (it was so unusual I started watching the clock), getting rid of an opaque, sticky white snot or phlegm. The volume was quite disgusting and necessitated a number of tissues! It was so odd that I have been hunting around online for more information and it's pretty impossible to find. I have had this occur before after really congested sinuses, but never to this extreme, usually a minute or two and it's all out. After that, my nose went really runny again before it clogged back to its semi-normal stuffiness. At first, my right sinus felt oddly empty and even ached a little. In fact, the right sinus still aches a little.

What exactly is this stuff and is it normal? I have an appointment with and ENT guy this week and don't know if it is significant or anything.

Try a Sinus Wash. I use the Ayre Sinus Wash which you can purchase at a well stocked drug store. I don't use tap water for this wash, however. I use Distilled Water for the purge. I warm the Distilled Water slightly in a microwave for 30 seconds or so. Everything is held together by the type of charge that holds something in a bond. It sure seems that the Distilled Water is the ticket. This morning I woke up and blew my noise into my hand feeling a slightly specks of water expelled. A totally clear, mostly fluid slime came out of my Sinuses. I am convinced that the Distilled Water carried a charge that broke the chemical bond of the Phlem. In fact, the slime that was discharge from my noise seemed to be so fluid, slimy and dynamic that it seemed to be something out of a scifi show. Just the same, try the nose wash. It worked for me.

I've had the same issue lately and it's driving me nutz. Even after a use up all my tissues I'm back in about 30 min for another go. I get tones of white thick gooey c**p out of mostly my right nostril hardly anything out of the other, the only thing that I've found online is that dairy can cause the color and thickness but I don't think that's the whole story. Let me know if you find anything else out plz thx

No reason to be that worried if your phlegm color is white. It is known that a cloudy or white nasal mucus may signal a cold. Sure, it is not dangerous only if this is not some other color or if you don't have bigger issues with it. Also, very often white mucus is a sign of eating or drinking large amounts of dairy or dairy containing foods for example, or also a very cold weather can cause this. Also, do some allergy tests, maybe you have some allergies and maybe something is bothering you, causing this problem. If you are using some medications at this moment, it can also result in white mucus. So many things. 

If you are using Nasonex nasal spray it can cause a nose bleed----

I have just started using tap water for my coffee. I didn't feel real good last night; and coughing all day. I smoke, but a lot less.I have white boogers in my nose. It is sticky, and white. I think you might have hit-the-head on the nail. I think it is the tap water.

EVERY TIME SEASONS CHANGE THIS OCCURS TO MY SINUS'S AND I DO NOT LIKE IT EITHER!  THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET RELIEF AND THIS I KNOW SOUNDS DISGUSTING.......I STOPPED SMOKING.......MAYBE THERE'S SOME CONNECTION TO IT...........MY GRANDMOTHER ON MY DADS SIDE OF THE FAMILY HAD TO HAVE HER SINUS'S DRILLED AND THE SINUS'S DRAINED...........HORRIBLE!  I WOULD NEVER GO THAT ROUTE 'UNLESS I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO' AND WHAT I DO WHEN I GET 'AN ATTACK' I SEE A PATTERN.........WHEN THERE'S A CLOG I MUST COUGH HACK AND SPIT OUT THE YES GROSS WHITE MILKY LITTLE PAPULES INTO A TISSUE OR GLASS OR WHATEVER I HAVE ON HAND......SINK OR TOILET........OUTDOORS ON THE GROUNDS WHEREVER I AM AT......DISGUSTING..........THE SALINE WASH SOUNDS GREAT I WILL LOOK INTO THAT.......SIMPLY SALINE IS A JOKE........I HATE IT.........THE DISTILLED WATER I WILL TRY........... I ALSO DO NOT DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS I SHOULD..........THAT MIGHT BE MY NEXT OPTION.......BUT, I BELIEVE I SPEED UP THE HEALING PROCESS WHEN I HACK SPIT AND COUGH THE STUFF OUT..........SOME PEOPLE WOULD THINK IT'S BRONCHIAL, BUT IT ISN'T...................THE MILKY WHITE STUFF GETS TRAPPED IN MY THROAT.............I WANT TO DISLODGE IT AS QUICKLY AS I CAN AND THE CONSTANT HACKING AND COUGHING AND SPITTING INTO A CUP, GLASS, MUG, GROUND TRASHCAN, TOILET OR SINK IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET IT OUT QUICKLY AND THEN I BREAK THAT BLOCKAGE AND MY SINUS'S BEGIN TO MOVE AND I CAN BLOW IT INTO A TISSUE, NAPKIN, RAG, TOWEL OR PAPER TOWEL AND FEEL IMMEDIATE RELIEF, BUT IT GETS SO TIRESOME AND EXHAUSTING, BUT I AM NOT ON A MEDICAL COVERAGE AT MY JOB........SO, NO HEALTH INSURANCE AND I HAVEN'T HAD ONE FOR OVER TEN YEARS............ HEAVY NARCOTICS, SLEEP AIDS, NON DROWSY FORMULAS 'WHICH LIE ABOUT THAT'.......... DON'T USE ANYTHING UNLESS I ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' HAVE TO.  AS I GET OLDER I NOTICE THIS GETS MORE CHALLENGING TO DEAL WITH WITH AGE AND TO GET IT OUT QUICK SAVES ME A LOT OF THROWING UP AND THAT'S THE WORST PART......................TO BE ABLE TO FREELY BREATHE THROUGH THE NOSE IS A WONDERFUL THING...............I THINK MILK PRODUCTS MIGHT BE A CULPRIT AND I THINK ENVIRONMENTAL THINGS MIGHT BE A CULPRIT...........BUT, I DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS TO THROW AWAY TO AN EAR NOSE AND THROAT DOCTOR WHEN I REALLY PREFER THE HOLISTIC APPROACH..............................IT COULD BE FOOD, ENVIRONMENTAL, BUT TO RESEARCH AND TRY c**p ON MYSELF THAT AIN'T GONNA BE A TRUE FIX OR CURE............ AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT! 

To all of you who have this issue, I may have found the culprit. Gluten...yes the "Healthy Whole Grain Bread" I was consuming. For over 25 years I have been plagued by this and also Asthma.  I quit all wheat and Gluten products and no more thick, sticky, stringy Phelgm is present in my respiratory tract. It may not be an allergy, but an "intolerance".

Wheat has been genetically modified since the mid 70's and it is no longer the same grain our ancestors consumed. I feel so much better now. I rarely need my inhaler to boot, when I was using it 2 or 3 times a day before I said "Goodbye to the Gluten".  READ LABELS because they try to hide it in food. Try it for a few weeks and if you notice a difference that may be part of your issue too. I got off of Wheat for other reasons. (Like the fact it is GMO).  This was a very much welcomed side effect. 

Breathin' Easier

Been through a nightmare the last few months. Thicker and harder than ever in sinus and chest I am wondering about several culpits. But you bring up an interesting point about bread. I had been eating lots of manna bread because it is sprouted whereas I had been avoiding bread because I noticed I would congest from it. Nontheless, I have stopped it. I stopped taking Nasonex because I had vertigo and bad head pain. Anyone else had this problem. I am so afraid that maybe I should be taking a second antibiotic as I am spitting up and my sinuses are pretty bad. But as my doctor won't do a culture test I am afraid to

It can cause a heck of a lot more than that. I developed severe head pain, vertigo and other horrible sensations.My GP doesn't believe me. Check out bad reactions on the web.

Did you see the ENT Specialist and what did he or she say. Thanks

I've had this thick, white sticky clear coming from my nostrils for over 15yrs. now. It has been continual everyday and when i go outside the humidity makes it even worse. I cannot get anything accomplished when trying to work on anything outside. I know and understand where all of you are coming from on this thread. It sucks waking up to this everyday as i spend most of my mornings in the bathroom hacking, spitting and clearing my throat continually. When i do get outside then the upper nasal stuffs up when out in the air!

Im thinking the Hollistic route is the better way to go with some kind of mint, spearmint to soothe the sinuses as well. Anybody try Herbal, Hollistic or Organic made nasal spray? thanx for any input, diane

I do believe it's in our invironment. Diatomaceous earth food grade helps. Also coconut oil and essential oils...

White sticky discharge comes from my nose
What is the treatment ? dear please rply as soon as possible dear

Rosetta Stoned much?