Hi. I have been getting dots of blood in my sputum, which comes out clear. the dots of blood appear bright red sometimes and dark brown at others and also pinky red aswell. ive just recovered from a chest infection and now these dots of blood are appearing in clear phlegm. its really wierd but it happens after ive eaten. throughout the times when i dont eat, just clear phlegm will come out.  i havent got any other symptoms like chest pain, difficulty breathing etc etc. i dont smoke. where could this blood be coming from? the lungs or the throat?

Hi Westgate,

It could be the throat, lungs, or even your gums.  All the tissues in your nasopharynx are very vascular, lots of blood vessels.  It may be gum disease as well.

Best get it checked.  Since it is more when you eat I'd focus on the mouth, see your dentist.  Tell him what's happening.  He should perform an oral cancer screen. If he doesn't find anything, see your doctor.

Good luck.

Hi

Thank you for your post. I think you may be right about the blood coming from the nasopharynx area. I very much doubt that it is coming from my mouth area because the dots of brown/red/pinky blood appear in clear phlegm just after i have eaten. could it be a burst vessel in the throat? how would i know for sure that it is? and how would i get this cured/healed?

See your physician.

They can examine your nasopharynx and even insert a "scope" if they have to to see what is going on.

thank you for your help.