I've had this problem for years and have gone to multiple ENTs, even having surgery last year to try to clean out my nasal passage. Each morning I wake up, I'm so congested that I actually have to vomit about 1 cup of phlegm. I'm fine for the rest of the day. I have no allergies and have had moderate success with a nasal spray, but that seems to have stopped working at night now.

My mother has this same issue and she's never had success with any doctors either.

Thanks for any consideration.

Did you ever find a "cure" for this? I'm experiencing the same thing and it's driving me crazy.

good day.

look, you really need to go to see a pulmonologist because you need to know that this is not normal.Or an allergist, it doesn't matter. Your body is trying to tell you that there is something seriously wrong with you. What is the phlegm color? Listen, my good friend had this issue. He was also waking up and coughing this ugly mucus and he was not sure why this happened. So, after two weeks, when he saw that this wouldn't stop, he went to see a doctor and allergist. It seems that the main problem was the rug in his room. Maybe you have the similar issues, maybe you need o change a rug. Or something else. But you need to see your doctor. 

Nexium solved this for me after 20 years of vomiting and spitting up phlem.

who would have guessed.

I had the same problem as a teenager/young adult for about 8 years.
I threw up like that maybe 5 days a week.
About half the time it was just phlegm and the other half it was phlegm and bile. Never food.
My brother hated hearing it every morning.. and it was really inconvenient for me.
Just like you, it wasn't about allergies or any other identifiable problem. I never went to a doctor for it, I just woke up half an hour earlier than I had to so I had time to throw up the phlegm w/o being late.
I know now that it was about stress and my miserable life.
One day I completely changed my life by suddenly moving across state lines into a brand new life with a relative.
The day I woke up for the first time in my brand new, unfettered life I didn't have to throw up. I haven't had to throw up in the morning (hangovers aside, LOL) since then!
I truly believe that I sub conciously hated my life, and was so miserable that it manifested in throwing up phlegm and bile in the mornings.
The very day I changed my life, it all stopped
Well, good luck to you.

In Chinese Medicine, dairy, sugar, wheat, and greasy foods cause phlegm build-up in the body....actually anywhere, but most people notice the 'overflow' of dietary phlegm in their throats. This is your body telling you that something is wrong, and changes need to be made.
This can also be seen in Western terms as lactose intolerance, acid reflux, post-nasal drip or allergies; all which are most often caused by diets high in these foods.
There are also foods that can clean out this phlegm after you stop eating the causative foods.
Of course, you must rule out infections and irritants such as smoking, dust, mold, etc.
Good luck, and see your Acupuncturist for treatments, herbs and dietary recommendations.

My son who is 30 has had this problem for years, starting when he was in his teens! During one doctor's visit, the doctor suggested that he may be allergic to cigarettes - considering there's more than 200 additives to the tobacco. If he could quit, that would help, I'm sure, but he's also schizophrenic and is heavily addicted to the cigarettes. Will try the Nexium but I have to make sure it won't interact with his meds first. :|

I have the same problem! I wake up about 4 or 5 days out of the week and throw up clear phelgm and occasionally some bile with it, but never food. I have noticed that if I stop and take a full deep breath right towards the end of my inhale I will automatically hit the gag reflex and out comes the phelgm. After the initial few times of discharging the phlegm I feel fine. But I am really annoyed and feel crummy up untill the point I get the phelgm out. I am worried that the bile is burning my throat and I would like to figure out a fix for this. I don't want to smoke marijuanna or take drugs. I know these work but I am not trying to mask the problem, I want to figure out what is causing this.

I liked the post about diet and I am going to experiment with that.

If anyone has any suggestions or knows about this. Please help.

Thank you :-)

I have had the same problem since I was a teen. In the morning the phlegm was in my head and wouldn't blow out my nose or go down my throat. What works for me is to take a half dose of NYQUIL before going to bed. I guess it keeps my sinuses from over producing.
Good luck. :-)

I also have the same problem. What I've noticed is that I cough up significantly less phlegm and feel much better waking up around 11. The earlier I wake up the worse it is. Understandbly, this probably isn't an option for many. Something else I suspect is this has to do with the amount of dust in my room. My body to produces more phlegm to fight off all the dust in the air. I recomend a good cleaning and dusting of your room. You may also want to invest in a allergy proof pillow and bed cover.
My logic to all this, is that your body is clear of phlegm when you go to bed, and you wake up throwing it up. Obviously over the night your body is producing way too much phlegm and you're swallowing it without knowing.
A final suggestion, if you can make the time, go for a quick jog every morning, instead of puking the phlegm up in the sink. Nothing clears phlegm better than a good jog. During your jog, you'll cough up all the phlegm automatically and more naturally.

I have the same problem, I hate it its every mourning

I hate this too! I wake up every morning and I'll just brush my teeth, but by the end of it I'm ready to spill my guts. Sometimes I don't even finish brushing... I throw up mucus, and sometimes bile, every morning. It used to drive my sister wild hearing it all the time. It's like, no matter how much I drink, or cough, or throw it up, it doesn't ever go away! I took a liquid medication my doctor prescribed for three months, it was nasty and purple, but it didn't seem to work...

It happens to me as well. I find it happens when I am under stress. Like if I wake up and have a presentation at work. I also think diet can trigger it. I think I read that phlegm has something to do with your pancreas. I would get checked for diabetes or pre-diabetes if this is happening to you.

I also have the same problem, Went to Vanderbelt had a bunch of test and all that jazz, There soulution, Wake up a few hours before your really need to be up and eat a small snack. Like a Granola bar or something to digest with the phlegm so it wont make you sick then head back to bed for 2 more hours. Stomach Acoid takes a while to digest that much phlem,

For me personally, If i keep the house a Cool 72-73 degrees all year and ceailing fans on low while I sleep. I dont wake up get the snack and dont get sick either, Hope this helps

I feel your pain, really, and also had surgery. Did you move to a different climate or an area with a different weather pattern? Since I relocated from a Great Lakes coastal region to the Ohio valley over a decade ago, I've been "heavin' the ho'" every morning, approximately 10 minutes after getting up, Much like you, once it's up and out, I'm out and about my business; Once in a great while, though--such as today--it doesn't let go, and I am flattened like a cheap tire, No help here, sorry, except to say I DO understand...