Hello, good people. My cousin has been diagnosed an arthritis. She felt a lot of pain in her joint of her hand. I would like to know something more about symptomatic treatment for arthritis. It would be great if someone could answer me that. Thanks in advance for replying. It means a lot to me!

Hello. Most of the therapy for arthritis is symptomatic. Usually, those are the drugs. They are called Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAID). They prevent inflammation and therefore cartilage damaging, but don’t cure and don’t renew the damaged tissue. They inhibit enzyme called COX (cyclooxigenase) which has two forms: COX1 and COX2. COX1 is important for mucosa maintenance and COX2 is responsible for inflammation. Most of NSAID block both forms of enzymes, so as a consequence, they have gastritis, ulcer and other ventricular complications. There are selective COX2 inhibitors that don’t have side effects that much serious. Physical therapy is also a form of symptomatic treatment.