As a direct result of Raynaud’s phenomenon, I am now experiencing a lot of peripheral numbness and it is something that might prove to be dangerous in my construction job, that obviously involves a lot of manual labour. Are there any ways to treat this peripheral numbness and hopefully make it go away altogether?

haze391 wrote:

Have you had the raynauds diagnosed by a Dr? I have it in my left thumb (only) and I also had carpel tunnel syndrome in my right hand which was successfully operated on in 2004. (I had suffered for years with both and was incidentally told that I couldn't have both it was either one or the other which is not correct). The carpel tunnel caused numbness and tingling and interfered with my job but the raynauds hasn't, I just get a very cold thumb, which i keep warm around a cup of coffee and make sure I wear gloves when the weather starts to turn bad. I now had arthritis in my fingers and hands so the raynauds is not as obvious as I need to keep the hands warm to stop the arthritic pain.

Given my personal experience with raynauds and carpel tunnel, yours sounds like the latter, is it made worse by driving or anything that vibrates like a steering wheel? In your construction job, do you use a jack-hammer or similar and if so, does this make it worse? Both carpel tunnnel and raynauds cause coldness of the fingers. With raynauds it is only coldness, but with carpel tunnel there is numbness, cramp and pain too. it sounds more like carpel tunnel, which is easily fixed under a local with a couple of weeks without heavy lifting or using the hand too much to let it heal. Following the op, you will not experience any more probs.

To get some temp relief from the numbness, try shaking your arm a couple of times, it gets the blood moving!