I am 23 weeks pregnant. I feel numbness in my feet and fingers. Also, my fingers are very swollen. I couldn’t get my marriage ring of the finger, so they had to cut it :-( What can I do to ease this swelling and especially numbness? I usually occurs at night or, sometimes during the day, but only when I sit.

Hey,
This is very normal after fifth month of pregnancy and it is caused by carpal tunnel syndrome.
Mostly it happens at night, so many times changing position of sleeping eases the numbness.
Through the day flex your fingers and put them in the air (sit with hands raised).
Don’t worry, carpal tunnel syndrome will disappear after delivery.
Best wishes with motherhood!

Amongst other causes of CTS is pregnancy, and when pregnancy is the cause, it usually resolves itself after delivery and may not need any medical treatment.
Many pregnant women notice the symptoms during the night, when gravity allows the fluid that has accumulated in the legs during the day to redistribute to the rest of the body.
To relieve the pain associated with CTS expecially in the night: always rest your hand in a nuetral position and try changing position always, also try not to sleep on your hands and always stretch your arms and hands in the daytime.
Health care providers are increasingly reluctant to treat the pain with drugs in order not to compromise the safety of the fetus.

I am 23 wks. and started to feel that numbness at about 21 weeks. To me it feels like a cool/heat sensation as if I had Ben-Gay on my body.
At my next appt. I will inquire about this to my Dr., but as of now if anyone does have some insight to what this is, it would be appreciated. I am sure it is nothing since it is above the uterus, but you never know.
Thanks!

I am 29 weeks pregnant have having the same sensation as the person above me, along with a numb feeling to my skin. When I run my finger along the area I can only feel pressure instead of the normal skin on skin contact sensation....soo if you found anything out (person above me) could you give me a little insight as well :-).

I just went to my doctor about numbness in my thigh similar to what you are describing. He told me that as your hips spread and prepare for birth that sometimes your nerves will get irritated and cause the numbness/tingling feeling.

I am 27 weeks pregnant, and I also have the numbness in my hands. I've had it for about 3 months now. For a while I had carpel tunnel syndrome, but that's mostly gone away by just resting my wrists. But the numbness is so bad sometimes--like when I shower, fix my hair, put makeup on, etc..basically any activity using my arms, especially if they are reaching anywhere above my chest, they go nearly completely numb. This makes me very clumsy indeed! :-) I've tried physical therapy with no results. The only thing that helped at all was when the phy. therapist stretched my neck--like traction with me lying down. I have been told by friends who experienced this that the only thing that helped them was a trip to a good chiropractor (if you're not showing yet, make sure and tell them you're pregnant!!). Two of my friends just had to make one trip and they were all set. So...that's my next plan! I have noticed that deep tissue massage can help alleviate the unpleasantness. Hope this helps, and congratulations to all you moms-to-be! :-)
~Deborah

hi. i have this too. my midwife said it is due to lack of iron. i have been taking iron supplements now for a few days since she recommended this and it has really helped. i still get the numbness though, but that is normal in most pregnancies. hope this helps

OK I dont quite know if I am experiencing the same thing... i do in fact have numbness but its when i sleep on either of my side. I am 10 weeks pregnant and I never had this before with my first. Does ANYONE have this or know what it is, I cant get comfortable at night and its driving me crazy.... can anybody help?

i too suffered from severe numbness in my thighs accompanied by a terrible stabbing pain,after letting my doctor know he told me take an over the counter medicine CALTRATE PLUS it is essentially an osteoporosis pill but for me it works as long as i take one every night, it in no way affects the baby so i am happy.If it works for you then i am glad to have helped.

Kristen,
So relieved when I read your post. I am 15 weeks and have been experiencing the numbness in my thighs when I lie on my side also(although it seems to be more on my left side). It gets quite painful and I find myself tossing from one side to the other (while trying to avoid lying on my back as I've been told that this depletes the flow of oxygen to the baby - any comments on that one??).
Certainly makes for an uncomfortable night and have found myself in tears at the frustration of not being able to get comfortable.
What a great site!

I have been having the same problem since i was about a month along. when i move in a certain position when laying on my side i get a terrible pain in my thighs. i'm not sure what its from though.

I am almost 32 weeks pregnant and have had almost constant numbness in my left hand fingers accompanied by the same numbness though not constant in the right hand. My doctor told me it is carpal tunnel syndrome brought on by fluid retention. He suggest a carpal tunnel wrist splint but I tried that and due to the heat here in Florida, I couldn't stand it. I read that cool ice packs work and while the numbness does not really go away, the ice pack definitely feels good. I go to a chiropractor every 2 weeks so I will see if he can help at next week's visit!

try eating some bannanas high in pottasium for blood cirruculation in moderation of course.

I am currently suffering from the same ailment and find the only thing that is a relief is icing my for arms where the pain starts and moving the ice down to my wrist with 20 minutes. It is no cure but it gives me some relief. Also I have read that Myoflex (regular, not extra strenth) is ok to use topically however I have not tried this.