Hoping someone has experienced the same and can shed some light for us. My daughter starting having headaches when she was 11- had them for about 6 months straight. The pain was always right on the top of her head, in the center. Never anywhere else. At times, headaches were so severe doctors gave her Stadol nose spray & vicodin for pain relief. They didn't relieve the headache, but did knock her out so that she could get some sleep relief. She also experienced dizzyness, blacked out a couple of times, lack of appetite, etc. Doctor ordered a spinal tap (which showed opening pressure of 18), did CT scan, MRI; nothing showed abnormal. Headaches slowly dissipated a week or so after the spinal tap and completely went away.

Fast forward 2 years. Headaches have come back, pain in same place. The pain never goes away, but sometimes will get more severe. We have noticed that right before the onset of a really bad one, she has extreme thirst, like she can't get enough to drink, and she gets this splotchy rash on her body that makes her itch. The rash is flat, and usually shows the most on her trunk, legs, & arms.

Doctors do not have any diagnosis except to say that she has "Chronic Daily Headaches". She doesn't fit the migraine profiles- no nausea or sensitivity to light or sound, etc. No medication that we've tried has worked. They've covered diet, nutrition, stress, sleep, etc. Nothing makes a difference.

Anyone experienced similar symptoms that you can share with us? I'd like to find out what is going on, as she should be enjoying these years, not suffering.

hi there have they tested her blood sugar? she could be diabetic

have her checked for diabetes insipidous. Not sure if I am spelling correctly but a dr. will know what it is. something gets damaged or "sick" in the front part of the brain which causes the body to not be able to use water correctly and it does cause headaches. They have to do a special test - a regular diabetes test will not detect it as it is not "diabetes" like someone thinks of as diabetes.

Lupus in the family?

I know someone who has a rare headache condition (69 cases diagnosed!) which is kind of the opposite of migraines in that he's had a permanent headache for over 20 years, due to constriction of blood vessels in his brain rather than dilation. He has been on anti-inflammatories for years. Not sure whether regular tests show this condition up or not. Good luck.

I have a friend of a friend who has what you are describing only on a larger scale and she gets spinal taps to relieve the pressure because apparently the pain is caused by an increase in spinal fluid in the brain. So, the taps drain the excess and she is relatively pain free until the fluid builds up again.

Hello, I get migraines with extreme thirst. The only way I can relieve it is with a sports drink. I keep powdered gatorade and use it at half or third strength with lots of isc and some sprite. Sometimes I get this before a headache starts...and I swear that sometimes it helps to prevent a full onset. My doc has checked for diabetes, electolyte problems, liver, tyroid. All is fine...
Just so you know, I have no real light sensitivity. At it's worst, I have severe vomiting.
Regards,
Jennifer in New Zealand

I was diagnosed with migraines about 10 years ago.I'm 46 y/o now. They started every so often around hormonal shifts, but then it became a regular monthy occurrence. Then trying to find a pattern I began to notice extreme thirst the hours prior to the headache, and not too long ago I realized that if I don't drink about 3-4 gallons of water a day -or if I don't drink water for may be 1 or 2 hours, I get a horrible headache. Doctors usually say that a strong headache is a migraine headache, but I don't get an aura, and my ct scans don't show any problems in my brain. I feel my head swollen like a watermellon constricted inside a coconut, very painful, always with nausea. If I induce vomiting I feel better for a short while, but also blood vessels burst in my eyes due to the effort, therefore I try not to vomit.
I take drinks similar to gatorade but without the sugar, and some times it helps some times it doesn't.
Hot pads on my forehead and back neck and hot showers help more than cold stuff on my head.
right now I take good ol' ergotamine for the pain, in the past I've tried zomig, imitrex, maxalt, elavil, excedrin migraine, even goodys.
I can't drink alcohol even if it's "cooked" wine, no chocolate, walnuts or pecans.

I've read about the realtionship between vasopressin hormone, aquaporin2, and brain edema, and I think these 'migraines' could be a mild-non-lethal edema of the brain.

I talked to my doctor about this, he did the vasopressin test, which consists in taking a blood test every hour for 5 or 6 hours without drinking anything- I had a horrible headache because of this, and the results where somewhat irregular. my vasopressin levels were slightly low, each time a little lower, but not low enough to be consistent with Diabetes Insipidus.
The doctor then suggested an MRI directed to the Hypothalamus because this low vasopressin could be due to a tumor in the Hypothalamus. I'll get the MRI done this month.
I have never heard of anyone else having this combination of extreme thirst and headache like we do. I can't say I'm glad to find more people with the same problem, but at least we can compare and help each other, even if the posts are a year apart...
Thanks God for Google ;-)
I'll post back after MRI.
Elena
Key Largo, FL, USA

%-) I'm not sure where to begin... But i'll start with the headaches!.. or should i say headache. I've had a constant headache for 7 years now. Been thru the battery of test... mri, cat scan, lumbar, pill doctor??/ etc.. etc.. It seems i know more about me than they do!.. (doctors) that is. What i mean is, my last nueroligist just kept lining me with test and different pills.... kinda like the formula (sooner or later will find something that works). But that gets Damn expensive and even more fustrating when there educated guess'es dont produce results.
I'm self medicating myself currently with 200mg ibu proferen gels... One every three hours daily, for years now!
The last guess from my previous Nuerologist was that it was rebound headaches, but weening me off medicines tottaly produced no cure.
He then suspected a spinal fluid pressure causing the constant ache on one side of head.. behind my left eye. Again though, no conclusive results!
Opthamoligist have had there turn with me because my vision, altough its ok.. Its doing funny things!...like smoetimes it seems like i have a film on either eye. Other times they feel scratchy like there is something in it. And mainly its usually the left eye. This eye also leaks, for lack of a better term!.. as tough just one eye is crying. I notice this more in the mornings and with some runny nose symptons, but never anything that last more than 3 hours.
It wasnt until i read this post that realized i'm always drinking water. I mean, i'm the only one in my church who always has a bottle of water in my hand. I'm still not sure if that qualifys for being thirsty all of the time... but it is what i do.
The only thing that i know for sure is that my headache has never went away without the help of ibu proferen..... I did notice a period of relief when i went from florida to north carolina working in the winter months... I got it down to one pill a day! But when i came back home.. so did the pain.
Does anyone have a clue?

Hi there
Im responding to ottis´s post
The thing where you say that when you traveled away from home it helped you. My husband suffers from severe headaches and we discovered that whenever we´re in an area that has a lot of underground water his headaches are much worse. Egsamples are of when we traveled to Pretoria S.A there is a huge natural underground lake, the same in Ceske Budejovice Czech republic and also in some northen areas of the Czech republic and south of Germany and Poland have underground lakes that occure naturally. His headaches got worse and in some cases were accopmanied by dizzyness.
What is interesting is that when he drinks anything - even the amount enough to swollow a tablet, it increses his headche intensity for about ten minutes to a much higher level.
Also if he moves in a horizontal level the headache stays"at the same pain level" but the moment he moves vertically, even in a slight angle it immediately gets much worse - so he tries not to sit up, stand up or bend over at all. If its neccessary he does so extemely slowly - like more than 5 minutes just to sit on the toilet and then another 5 for getting up again!
You also mentioned that you have a drinking bottle all the time - is it not bottled water by any chance?
Studies have shown that bottles used for this water are disinfected before use and in long term use this microscopic amount of disinfection could have some effect on more sensitive people...just a thought.
My friend uses tap water and puts it into an empty glass bottle of tequila - then she drinks from it while driving - you can emagine the faces of other drivers and the amount of police stops shes had - gets a kik out of it I guess!
Hope I might have baan of some help and if of none, hopefully you will find relief elsewhere.
JAJ

Thanks so much for replying.. And i can certainly feel & greive with your Hasband on his pains.

It is very interesting, that youve figured out the underground water... changes the pain levels. I never thought of it before, but where i live.. there is certainly water above, below & on the ground. I will start paying attention to this when i travel to other areas... But the one thing that gets me about the whole ordeal with my head-aches, is that one 200mg Ibu-proferen gel tab, takes the pain completely away.

I do have days.. it pounds & overtakes my head completley with pain.. but there not too often. I getting to the point now, to where my threshold for this particular pain, is getting higher. So, for now... i am monitoring what i eat, drink, and what im near etc.. etc.. to see if i can narrow it down.

Hi. I got here by googling on the underground water connection to headache. I've head chronic headaches since childhood. no doctors found the reason why. so, the last solution my desperate parnts took was to take me to an energy healer. she helped. it cured me. one of the things that she did, and it stayed with me till today, was to check our flat for the underground water. there are underground currents all over the planet, and some are beneficial, but some are not. animals can feel that also. she made a map of those curents in our flat. all trough my life I was able to cure the headache if I changed my sleeping place frequently. about once in a few months my headaches would start, and when I notice they are constant, I would just go and sleep in another bed, or a couch. the headache I would have for days would stop the night I changed my sleeping place. after some months of sleeping in the same place they would start again. I am very sensitiv to weather changes, so I guess I am sensitive to underground magnetism as well. I know this sounds strange, but it proved to be helpfull for me. I just get into a faze when I sleep in one place, and than I have to change it. right now, I'm feeling lightheaded for days already, and I never felt that before. I'm vorried and started googling for this, but nobody seems to take the lightheadedness that serious. I was at a friends house for a few days, and I've been ok, as soon as I came back it started again.

I'm gonna continue googling for a solution now, but I just took time to give you an idea of what to think off. I'm also interested did you keep a record of the underground water related to the headache in the past two years, cause it would be interesting to hear about it. and is she better now? I know how you must feel, because I know how my parents felt.