Hi im Brit for the last three weeks i've had EXTREME Constipation and even with all the meds, enamas, laxatives, etc.. there is still stool backed up inside me! Also there is lower back pain, kinda leading to the middle now. Then there's the wonderful abdominal cramping, throbbing, stabbing,
etc...Im really frustrated w/ docotors b/c all they want to do is give me some white powder to mix in liquid drinks!! They won't give me any pain med. which i rate the pain a 7 sometimes even 8!! Im on a med. called suboxen (for opiate dependence) so the doc. says he can't give me nothing which is a LIE!! Cause the med. blocks pain med. but still helps to relieve pain!!! So what would you do in my case??? Im so frustrated with it all and have had many tests done x-rays,ultrasound, blood test, urine test, and a CT. I just want to be normal and take a big ol' poo!! For real.
They said something about endometroisis, which i don't see possible since i have'nt had a period in over a year cause' of my IUD Mirena. But some of the symptoms still match. Please someone if u know anything at all give me advice. I don't go to the doc. for a week by then i'll be dead, wait there's always the ER and they'll give me an enema and send me on my merry way!! I hate ER's and family physicians at this point!! Tomorrow im making an appt. w/ a gastrologist b/c my gyno can't tell me anything either! By the way im not doing anything that is out of ordinary for me like taking new meds, or stress, diet, etc. Thank you to anyone that can help me!!![/enc]

Hey guys if you all can give me just ANY ADVICE at all it would be great!! You don't have to be 100% right just tell me like if I was your best friend or something!!!!LOL!

I can definitely relate to all of what you are saying esp. with the cramping and severe pain. I too am frustrated with my FD, she says I'm making a big deal out of it. Ya, I'm making a big deal out of the fact that I haven't been able to take a c**p in almost 3 weeks. I also went to the ER, had an emema which had NO effect at all/ Guess what the ER doctor's advice was???? Take lactuluse 30ml a day when I told the id**t I was taking 60 ml of that c**p and it was doing nothing in combo with other laxative pills.

I'm eating healthy, avoiding all junk food and sweets, drinking lots of water, and exercising. Im losing weight. Guess why? Because my gut is so damn full that if I ingest anything, I involuntarily throw up.

I begged the er to do some sort of colonoscopy or even a simple x-ray. Of course in Canada they wanna save money so they said they had no justification and sent me on my way home.

I have severe headaches and back pain just like you. I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for replying to my forum, seems like all of our symptoms do match. But one thing is i went and tried Castor Oil (it's in the store w/the enemas and stuff) anyways after 3 days of taking 5 tablespoons a day i finally last night took a sh*t! But still i feel as if there's more and im just so clogged up that it's not going to budge!! But for real girl this is my advice to you, 1. Go to a different ER
2. Make an appt. w/a gastrolysist for tomorrow!! No Later
3. If you don't do something very soon you could get a bad infection or your colon could burst, or the sh*t can actually come out of your mouth!!
That's the truth i swear, that's just nasty!! They need to do an x-ray to see actually how much is in there, then don't leave that frikkin hospital or ER til' they do something b/c your indangering your life!!! They could actually have to do surgury or maybe they could just....i don't know. I feel so bad for you though! And i know how expensive this all can be and how annoying the professionals can be at times!!! And the ER can always call a gastrologist to come in (don't let them lie) don't leave until you feel like they have done what you came in for!!! Demand them to an x-ray and then i really don't know in your case but it sounds like your in pure hell!!! Im so sorry to hear this. Please write me back and tell me if everything is ok w/ you after you go see a doc.!!!! But my point is TELL THEM WHAT TO DO AND BE VERY DEMANDING!!! Hope all goes well.

Hello all, I am sorry u are going thru all of this. I am also going thru everything u described--even the Subutex. I am a 31 yr old mom of 5, and am sick of feeling this way. I am starting to have anxiety attacks and sharp needle pains shoot thru my body minutes before having a BM so this makes anxiety of how difficult this BM will be worse for me. ER docs will give me the pain meds but it doesnt stop the constant rectal pressure or make me have a normal BM. I have been in and out of the ER, dr. office, GI, I have had xrays,barium enema's (ouch!), ct scan (showed inflammation in my distal ileum--yet GI still has not discussed this with me), colonoscopy (everything came out normal--he sent me home w/"increase fiber & water, and exercise"). Everything is fine with me yet I cannot have a BM w/o taking 4 tbsp of Lactulose w/Zelnorm. ???? So fine that the rectal pressure seems to come back later that day or the next from having a BM. I used to be fine for 1-2 wks before symptoms returned. Not now!!! I am 2 classes away from graduating from college but cannot move on with my life until tis situation has been manageable.

Since Subutex 2 yrs, I have suffered from the worse constipation. From gradual constipation to constant and chronic.I have been in for severe bloating, severe epigastric pain (like contractions) under my ribs, impaction/copnstipation, you name it. No one finds anything wrong w/the fact that I get a sharp pain under my ribs everytime I eat or drink, I am turning anorexic (cant eat more than a few bites before filling full--I weigh 200lbs.--obviously i like to eat!!!!). I would love for a specialist to come into the ER and decide to open me up for surgery to do exploratory surgery!! My cuzn went thru similiar situation and when they finally opened her up, he large intestine was necrotic and parasitc.They ended up doing a partial colectomy and has not had a problem since(would love to hahve this!). She has a BM w/in minutes after eating. Life would actually be livable again!

today I hav been having some scary happenings. I took vermox 2 days ago cuz my kids are being treated for pinworms.Since then I have not been hungry,have a sunbrned looking rash (no sun lately), and took 5 tbsp of lactulose today and only produced liquid and pebbles (the lactulose came out undigested bascially) but still have increasing rectal pressure and pain. I am always tired, weak, in pain or stomach rumbling.

Chronic constipation can be caused by numerous things, but sometimes chiropractic care can help. I know that when I get adjusted after not having been to the chiropractor for awhile, it's like getting a serious enema. That night or the next day I'd better be close to a bathroom all day. It may or may not work for you, but it would certainly be worth a try.

Hi, sorry you are feeling so lousy, I know how bad constipation can get. I have it so bad (because of meds I am on and low motility in the peristalsis of the colon) that even laxatives don't work.

My suggestion is, if they have ruled out any serious problems, ie, colon cancer, tumor blocking colon, etc), that you google around and get some information on home enemas. Most people shy away from this thinking 'ick". However, it really really does work for severe constipation. My gasto guy actually told me that if that is the only thing that works, continue with it, because there is nothing we can do, we have tried everything. I do, by the way, take a laxative anyway every day.

Another thing, I don't know where you live, but check the phone book to see if there are any Colonic Therapy clincs around you. All that is is that they basically do the enema for you.

There are some great places on the internet that really explains it all very well. One is: healthandyoga.com/html/clean/enema.html another one is: enemakit.com/products.cfm

Castile Soap works well, as does lemon juice. There are always precautions to giving yourself an enema, follow all instruction and you should be ok. I, myself, MUST administer an enema at least once a week or I get a blockage. One time to the ER and undergoing the humiliation of them taking care of it drove me to finding out how to do it myself safely.

This is just my non-medical suggestion, some will agree, some will not, so do your own homework. Then remember that we all to have a BM, those who have no problem, or only minimal issues with it will poo-poo (pun intended) the type of suggestions I just made. Some will even try to scare the devil out of you with horror stories. But this is what I use and it works wonderfully for me. Oh yea always keep sterile rubber gloves and ky or mineral oil around for lubrication, and if you have hemorrhoids some hemorrhoid cream, I use Americaine as it has 20% lidocaine adn works fantasticaly on the pain of hemorrhoids.

I apologize in advance to those offended by the graphic nature of my post.

Ktarus

HI THERE.

SUFFERING FROM THIS CHRONIC CONSTIPATION IS DREADFUL. MY HISTORY IS SIMILAR TO SOME LISTED. I HAD SURGERIES ON NECROTIC INTESTINES CAUSED BY ADHESIONS FROM OTHER SURGERIES-THANK GOD IT SAVED MY LIFE, BUT PUT ME ON A HARD PATH OF RECOVERY. DOCTORS HAVE GIVEN EVERY SOLUTION; MEDICATIONS,ENEMAS,AND MANY FRUITLESS SEARCHES. I SEARCHED THE LIBRARY AND FOUND A BOOK THAT CHANGED MY LIFE BY HEATHER VON VOROUS CALLED LIVING WITH IBS. IT IS WORTH YOUR TIME - I HAVE READ EVERYTHING OUT THERE AND UNTIL I LEARNED WHAT FOOD WILL DO TO MY BODY, I COULD NEVER STOP THE PAIN, AND IT WAS BRUTAL. FIRST THING I DID WAS GET OFF ALL DAIRY......THEN PORK AND RED MEAT(EXCEPT GROUND BEEF).....THE LAST THING I'LL MENTION ABOUT THIS IS THAT EATING FIBER CAN BE A HORRIBLE THING IF IT IS THE WRONG KIND.

BY THE WAY, AFTER TRIAL AND ERROR I AM OFF THE ENEMAS, LAXATIVES, MEDICATIONS. AND HAVE 'EPISODES' OF PAIN MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR- WHEN I KNOWINGLY VIOLATE MY LIST OF NO-NO'S.

THERE IS HOPE AND IF THERE IS NO OTHER DIAGNOSIS FROM YOUR DOCTOR BUT CONSTIPATION I SUGGEST LEARNING WHAT THIS LADY HAS TO SAY. I HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL NOW AND I HAVE TO PRAISE JESUS FOR GIVING ME THE WISDOM AND HEALING. GOOD LUCK TO YOU

I have had constipation symptoms such as each of you for almost 5 years now. Finally, I found a GI doctor that prescribed Zelnorm (didn't work) and a gallon of water a day with laxatives (didn't work).....finally, I began MIRALAX twice daily and it has been just what I was looking for. It takes a few days to begin to see the results but stick with it and taken regularly should allow you to be regular.

I take it once daily even this long because it's the only thing that works. I just found out you can get it without a prescription.

Good Luck.

Hi Brit! I wish I would have found this site earlier so you wouldn't have to go thru this but I had the same problem, actually I had it so bad my colon completely stopped working, i was in bed for two weeks. I hated when the doctors said, drink more water - eat more fiber - I already drank 10 glasses of water a day and tried every fiber tablet, powder, food I could find. No help. Had a colonoscopy & every other scan/test you can think of and they couldn't find anything, but the Gastroenterology doctor suggested It might have been worsened by laxatives I bought from a health store. He put me on Miralax which helps keep moisture in the stool rather than forcing you to go. So it takes about a week to get you going but after that it helped tremendously but I still had a little trouble and I had a lot of gas and bloating and painful abdominal cramps at times - well i finally found the answer to that too - it is SOLUBLE FIBER, not just any type of fiber, and the best way to take it is BEFORE you eat. Here is the website where you can order it: ***- I was never diagnosed as IBS but I followed some of the ideas and it helped. Second best fiber is FIBER CHOICE (tablets) but I only use it for a backup because it gives you gas at times. The best thing about this is that when I started being regular, it also got rid of my Heartburn and most of my Migraine headaches! Hope this helps!

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**

I am sorry to here about your problem. There is something I think you should seriously try. It's called a Colon Cleanse. This really works. It doesn't just make you have a bowel movement, it makes you c**p out everything that is backed up in your colon and it has no side effects. The doctor's won't give this to you because it's a natural remedy. You may not believe in natural/ hollistic remedies but let me tell you from first hand experience they work better than anything the doctor's could ever give you. You can go to www.dualactioncleanse.com for a really good colon cleanser. You should also go to google and search for more info on colon cleansers. I strongly urge you to try this because you really have nothing to loose. And this will fix your problem, not just make you go to the bathroom once. I hope this helps.

Hey.
I just wanted to let you know that you are most definently not alone. I dont like to tell people this all the time, but I am a sufferer of Fecal Impaction.
It's a 'force of will' thing for me. I feel the urge to deficate, but I dont act on it. It soon gets to the point that the 'stool' in my intestines builds up and hardens. At this point there is nothing I can do about it, it gets so large in my intestines I am afraid to deficate. Even with stool softeners and laxatives and enemas, I still go through excrutiating pain during times when I can get myself to actually sit and wait and make myself deficate.
Noone knows this but me, and now you guys [[and a couple doctors]], but I am lucky if I can get myself to deficate four times a year. Yes, that means, it takes me two, three, four months to take a sh*t.
It's not comfortable and it is definently VERY painful, but I do it to myself. I havnt got the slightest idea of why, except for I have had this problem for over 3/4 of my life. I am 18 now, I have been suffering from this since I was about for or five years old.
Just be thankful that you, unlike I, dont have to pass a 4" round ball mass of feces every time you go to the bathroom.
Although I wish you luck in getting the help you need, I dont have any advice for you because nothing helps my condition, as you can imagine.
ALTHOUGH, I would suggest trying some mineral oil every once in a while if you want to soften a 'stool' It works wonders!

GOOD LUCK!

please all of you i have been in and out of doctors offices suffering from chronic constipation no drug or over the counter enema will change anything. it may make you go once but after that you get backed up again. i recommend going to a colon hydrotherapist. make sure they are i-act certified. they do high colonics that clean your entire colon out. plus taking an herbal colon cleanse will clean you're small intestines. another thing is most people suffering from constipation don't eat right, you must eliminate all refined sugars and breads and pastas, only eat whole grains, also eat 80 percent vegetables with whatever protein you are going to have, make sure you food combine properly. it's all about food combining along with colonics and a healthy diet. never eat starches and animal proteins together, one book i recommend is:" you are what you eat." i forgot the authors name but she does a great job in explaining the food combining principles, also lots of veggies. if you have a juicer start using it. get rid of meats and cheese until your colon works properly again. then you can use these things sparingly, with the proper food combinations. i went through this. doctors today don't know a lot of alternative therapy and are only taught a little about nutrition, seek out a naturopathic physician which is a trained medical doctor and a natural doctor. they are usually well groomed in both types of healing, and wont recommend just popping pills but will look at your whole body and formulate a plan for you. if their is one thing you do go get at least three colonics. good luck

I found this site on the net and LadyDarkness had the answer,
I had constipation for 2 weeks! and I had laxitives, enamas,supository lots of water,fiber pruns ,,,the works and nothing helped even a bit , the last thing I wanted to do was go to the hospital and let them work on me, and then I found the comment of LadyDarkness about going to a chiropractor. So I called one up and had an appt with in an hour and he did some energy work on my stomach and I actually felt every thing moving around,he craked my back and told me to eat ,that I needed one last push. I went home made a salad and some quesadillas and 10 minutes latter I DID IT!!!! After 2 weeks I finally did it. He totally worked it out !, and what seemed to be like a metal hard ass bar in my intestens that no matter how much I pushed ,it could not and would not come out, and he some how liquafied it. " I know thats gross but if you were constipated you would be as happy as I am for that to happen".
I to7tally recomend a chiropractic appt befor turning to drastic mesures.

I understand your frustration, because I was in the same situation. I went to my local pharmacy and told them about my problem, and was recommended to use some Citrate of Magnesium. IT WORKED, within two hours, it was over with, no more bloating, constipation, gas, or crampy stomach. Try, all you need is one 10-oz bottle and an 8 0z bottle of water, and you will feel much better.