I have mild but consistent acne that just won't budge no matter how much care I take of my skin. I'd really like to use a skin lightener for overall lighter skin. I've read conflicting bits of information about whether this is good or bad for acne.

Can you tell me? Will skin lighteners do my acne any good or might they make it worse? If some skin lighteners make it worse then can anyone tell me which one I should pick that would be good for people with acne? Or should I actually stay away from skin lightening products while I have acne going on?

Thanks!

That's a very interesting question — I'm trying to find out myself and I am really not sure. What I know for sure is that plenty of people use skin brighteners to make acne scars fade, but that is presumably after their active acne has already died down, otherwise they would also be talking about their current acne. I have also heard that skin brighteners can cause acne in some people with sensitive skin. Can you use them while you have acne though? That part is still not clear to me. I have acne myself and if it could help my skin, I'd love to use them.

As a teenager I did suffer from acne. I did try to cover it up with foundation but I think you could see the uneveness even more because of it. So recently I read something about the term "whitening". What on earth is that and why would it be good for acne? I think it is something that some black people use to make their skin lighter, not an acne treatment. If that is correct I have no idea whether that would be good for acne or not, but in general I think it is a silly thing to do. Why not be happy with the nice skin color you already have? That is just my take, anyway.

I have rosacea. I have come to the stage where I use nothing on my skin unless I have Googled and Googled and discussed the product with other people with rosacea, asking for reviews, good ones and bad ones. Then, if I am still not sure what to do, I ask my dermatologist. I personally see no reason to use a skin lightener because I don't see why it would help with my rosacea and otherwise don't have discolored skin. If you have darker skin with uneven patches, however, this is definitely one of those times where I would check in with my dermatologist and ask for a product recommendation.

I have this question too. I have used skin lighteners in the past and love the way my face looks bright and clear when I use them, but now I have acne, it seems my hormones are out of whack, and I am not sure if it would be okay to use skin lightener again now or if it would aggravate my acne, you know? The frustrating thing is I looked on the internet and found basically no info at all, so I'm hoping someone who has tried can give me an answer.

Celebrity

While self tanners will help people with light skin and rosacea (and sometimes acne) look less affected by their skin condition, I have no idea how safe skin lighteners other than natural ones are for the skin. Lemon is a natural skin bleach which I have used on occasion, and that has dried my skin out even more and I am only using it in combination with honey now. Mind you, I just have a few small pigment spots and otherwise have light skin, so my goal is not overall lightening. Honey and lemon masks will help you with your acne and might lighten your skin some at the same time so that could be something to try. 

Rosie

The thing about darker skin is that if you have acne, you are much more likely to end up with pigmented scars and keloids than if you have lighter skin. However, you can't use skin lightening cosmetics containing chemicals whole you have active acne. You should see your doctor to get a prescription for an anti-acne cream and then, once you have your acne under control, then you can use skin lighteners to get your skin tone under control. It's important to take care of your acne as soon as possible if you don't want scars.