This is hard to explain. I have my fair share of whiteheads and blackheads, so of course my skin is bumpy because of those, but it is also more than that, what I am talking about. If I look in a really good lighted mirror like those at some changing rooms for instance, I see that my skin has this uneven and bumpy appearance to it, like hives almost but milder. You can see it even when I am wearing foundation and sometimes I think that the foundation actually accentuates the bumps in some way, if that makes sense.

I have never heard of this before and don't even know what to Google so I came here. I'm pretty unhappy about it to be honest. If anyone has any idea at all what this is or what I can do about it, please, please share.

By the sounds of it, yeah, I can't imagine that what you're dealing with is anything other than clogged pores that got inflamed to be honest with you, especially 'cause you're mentioning the other blemishes you have on your skin. What's your skincare routine like at the mo? Do you like exfoliate twice a week and stuff? What cleanser are you using? If you're lacking in that area then first investigate those things. Cetaphil is something you should probably be using. You could also go for a glycolic acid peel at a medical salon and that does a great job ridding your face of underlying impurities, like a whole face makeover... well worth looking into, that.

I second the last question about what products you are currently using. That is very important. In general, to treat very clogged pores successfully, you will need a few key ingredients. They are: 1. A good cleanser for oily and acne prone skin, 2. A good facial scrub again for your skin type, and 3. a moisturizer. Yes, even people with very oily and blemished skin need a moisturizer to prevent their skin from overcompensating for lack of hydration by producing even more sebum.

Though people, including myself, could give you specific product recommendations, it is less important to choose specific products than it is to use all three of these things.

Thanks for the quick replies so far, I appreciate them.

What I am using now probably requires more thought, which is why I am starting this thread, in part. I have several products. A cleansing milk that contains almond oil, another facial cleanser with "bead" bits in it and some micellar water. I also have a moisturizer with retinol, which I rarely use because it makes my skin feel tight and dry, and a generic moisturizer that is good. I have a scrub, but rarely use that as well.

I am definitely looking to get more serious about skincare but don't know what to choose. Advice would be appreciated, for sure. I will look into the glycolic acid peel, thank you.

Have you had acne in the past that gave you scar tissue that doesn't really look like scars as such, perhaps? That could be one explanation for your uneven skin here. Sun damage will also do the same thing, plus there's always that it can simply be a hormonal issue. If it really bothers you, and it sounds like it does, my advice to you would be seek out a dermatologist. First get it diagnosed then see what you want to do from there. If you are dealing with very minor scarring though, something like a TCA peel or even just a series of AHA peels could refresh your skin some.

As the years pass, and we get older, we have to adjust our expectations of our skin texture. Unfortunately, it will get more uneven and bumpier with age than it already is. I suffer from the same ailment myself and I'm in my 50s. What does help for me is when I am in the shower, and I'm not quite finished yet, I apply olive oil to my skin and kind of rinse it off. It spreads nice and evenly over my whole body and I gently pat dry it with a towel. I think my skin situation has improved slightly. I don't think you can expect any miracles though.

Ultimately, judging by your post, it very much sounds like you are an excellent candidate for a chemical peel. TCA peels, medium strength, are very good at improving your overall skin tone and texture as well as remedying deeper underlying skin problems such as sun damage and even wrinkles and acne scars. That is assuming that your bumpy skin is caused by general clogged pores and breakouts rather than anything else, which is what it sounds like to me reading your post. A dermatologist will be able to judge this for sure though.

If I were you I would go over my normal skincare routine and see if changing it could improve your skin texture.

1. Wash your face twice a day max and be gentle. Scrubbing it can lead to inflammation which gives an uneven appearance.
2. Always moisturize after cleansing.
3. Exfoliate a few times every week, and also use a soothing facial mask, the type you just buy from the store, perhaps once a week.
4. Never forget about using a sunscreen. Sun damage is perhaps the number 1 enemy of even skin tone!

I am guessing that sun exposure is playing a large role in your uneven skin texture. It does, in most people. What you really want is a good sunscreen every single day, along with then something that gets rid of sun spots and clogged pores, which you also mention. I recommend retinol for this situation. Retinol will do a great job evening your skintone out, preventing further breakouts, clearing up your pores, and even combating signs of aging. All around, it is a great product and even better is that it is available over the counter.