Hi, I suffered from costal chondritis for three years, and I still feel the occasional flare up. I can’t sit longer than two hours because I feel the pain, such as if something sharp was going through my ribs. I never met anyone else who has costal chondritis, so I could use any information about this disease.

I can’t tell you a lot about costal chondritis, because it was a long time ago when my grandmother suffered from it. I remember that she was always complaining how her ribs hurt. In medicine, it’s defined as painful nonsuppurative swellings of one or more costal cartilages. In the most cases, the swelling is based on the second rib. In my grandmothers’ case, the costal arch was infected, so complete removal was not recommended, because it could cause the loss of skeletal protection of the heart. It’s better if you have just the bottom of your rib cage affected. You should see a doctor before it extends down to your intercostal muscles. Try to sleep as long as you can, and try with yoga classes, it might help. Good luck!

I have just been diagnosed with costochondritis. My doctor wants to do further testing because he feels that having the symptoms (rib pain and inflamation) for seven months is not common in costochondritis. Is that true and should I concerned that it could be something more serious?

Oramy037 I've had costochondritis off and on for at least fifteen years. I always experience some level of it, some degree of tenderness, usually on the left side of my breastbone, though I've had 'attacks' on the right. Sometimes, like now, it's very very sore. I have other symptoms of what is apparently fibromyalgia, which it sometimes accompanies, though I've had so many autoimmune phenomena I don't pay very much attention anymore; I just live with it all and try not to get freaked out over it. Anyway, a doc may find it unusual for you to have costochondritis for seven months, but I don't. Hope this helps.

I'm 19 and have had costochrondritis for roughly five years - I don't know when it started. Its worse this year than it has been in the past - more flareups but I know I'm one of the lucky ones - it never sticks around for more than 10 minutes. I'm still strugling to find a trigger - Potential ones include eating meals that contain a lot of tomato, or cold weather - I don't have much evidence for anything, apart from the fact that its been occuring more since I put on weight - most people would now consider me a healthy weight for my age and height and Mum wasn't too keen on me going back to what I was when I finished high school (5kg difference) - previous to this it was very occasional. In my experience excercise (walking up to 5km frequently, occasional day tramps) have had no negative impact. As it doesn't really affect my lifestyle, I chose not to have anything prescibred.