I'm sorry if this has already been asked/answered, I've been searching all over the net and can't really find any answers.

I started running about 3-4 weeks ago. Started with running 1/2 mile off and on, finally worked up to a mile. Did that for a week or two and now can do 2 miles at 7mph, or 3 miles at 5 mph - it's getting a lot easier.

The problem is - the first time I pushed myself to hit 3 miles, I started having some rib pain after the run. It lasted through the next day, largely disappearing by the 2nd day. It is on either side of the ribs, localized to about the size of my hand, right at the bottom 3 ribs (my guess). After it got better the first time I didn't think anything, ran again, and the pain returned afterwards, subsiding after a day of rest. I even took 2 days off and the pain still came back - it doesn't really hurt running (I can kind of feel it), but it hits pretty strong afterwards (when I am still I can't feel anything, but if I stretch or walk around I can feel it).

Any clues? It seems really weird, I am guessing that I somehow stretched some rib muscle and that while the pain goes away, somehow it's not healing back to normal. As a note, I was able to run 1/2miles fine without any pain, it only happened after I ran 3 miles (now even if I run 2 miles it returns).

I'm 22 years old, everything else feels great - it's really kind of annoying to be honest. I'm hoping it's just some aches and pains and it will go away, it's been about 1.5 weeks and whenever I run, the pain just keeps returning - so I don't know, I'd prefer not to see a doctor, but who knows.

Any ideas would be appreciated - if this is not at all common please let me know, then I can figure something out, otherwise I will just keep running.

Does it feel like a side stitch?

sometimes the tendon will pull away from the rib bone; it can be caused by sudden exertion or overuse and i can NOT think of the name of it....

you might want to get an xray just to be sure it isn't a stress fracture or the tendon thing... good luck.

Not really like a side stitch, I've had those (and still get them), but they seem farther down a little, below the ribs. Last night as I lay in bed I could feel it as I breathe, it's definitely something around my ribs. After getting some sleep I can hardly feel it today, I find it hard to believe it's anything semi-serious if the pain only lasts about 24 hours (up to 48 at max).

sounds like you may have pulled a muscle in your rib cage.

ouch!

At a guess I would say you have strained your (rib cage) inter-costal muscles. This is a fairly common injury when you push yourself (breathing hard) in a race especially if it is the first race of the season and you suddenly step up the intensity.

Not a lot you can do for this injury except rest, then start back your training at a slower pace