For the past couple of days I was coughing up green substance. I was very worried so I went to my doctor. He examined me and I am still waiting for the results. What do you think that is happening to me?

Firs, I need to tell you that it is very important for you to go to your doctor. Coughing is a reflex action started by stimulation of sensory nerves in the lining of the respiratory passages (the tubes we use to breathe). In most cases, coughing means there is something in the respiratory passages that should not be there. There are many things that can cause this, like: breathing in dust particles in the air or when a piece of food goes down the wrong way. Coughing can also be a sign that an infection in the lungs is making the respiratory passages produce phlegm. You need to consult your doctor if you have symptoms besides coughing up phlegm that is green. Alarming symptoms are rusty brown, yellow, blood-stained or foul smelling phlegm, chest pain, shortness of breath or wheezing, recurrent night-time cough, sudden weight loss, fever and sweating. This way he will be able to determine possible underlying causes and treat them.