Hello! I have suffered from hypothyroidism for over 6 years now. Lately I have developed edema on my leg and the doc called it non pitting edema in contrast to pitting edema. I don’t think I got the difference right, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a better explanation about how these two forms of the swelling differ! Thank you

Pitting edema is a swelling in which when you put a pressure to the skin of a swollen leg and it causes an indentation in the skin that persists for some time after the release of the pressure. Non pitting edema usually effects legs or arms, pressure that is applied to the skin does not result in a persistent indentation. One cause of non-pitting edema of the legs is called pretibial myxedema, which is a swelling over the shins that occur in some patients with hypothyroidism. The non-pitting edema of the legs is difficult to treat. Diuretic medications don’t usually help, but elevation of the legs periodically during the day and compressive devices may reduce the swelling.

I'm sorry but this post had the wrong information, pretibial myxoedema is due to a deposition of connective tissue over the tibia (shin bone) and is a sign of HYPERthyroidism, not HYPOthyroidism

Pretibial myxedema can indeed found in both hyper- and hypothyroidism.

well
in fact
hyperthyroidism causes pretibial myxedema which presents as NON pitting edema
hypothyroidism causes MYXEDEMA CRISIS which refer to evere, life-threatening hypothyroidism. The manifestations of hypothyroidism are present and more severe. Affected patients have impaired cognition, ranging from confusion to somnolence to coma (myxedema coma). Convulsions and abnormal central nervous system signs may occur. Patients have severe hypothermia, hypoventilation, hyponatremia, hypoglycemia, and hypotension.
hypothyroidism causes fluid retention which is caused by the interstitial accumulation of hydrophilic mucopolysaccharides, which leads to lymphedema. as we know it lymphedema causes non pitting edema

Myxedema crisis isn't the only form of myxedema for hypothyroid patients. As the post states earlier, pretibial myxedema (dermatologic, different from myxedema refering to the hypothyroid state) with a similar presentation can occur on both hypo and hyper thyroid states. It is an autoimmune process (immune system against own self) that explains, albeit not clearly the pathogenesis of the disease. There are similar autoantibodies found in different cases of both graves disease and myxedema. These antibodies can attack a specific type of cell in front of your shin (thus the term pretibial). Thus, both could present with it.

Thank you. I am hypothyroid and have pretibial myxedema. You don't just have to be hyper....

myxedema is the same as HYPOthyroid caused.