Hello, guys. I have been recently diagnosed hyperthyroidism. Lately, I feel some fast heartbeats. I think I may have arrhythmias. I wonder whether hyperthyroidism can cause fast arrhythmias. What do you know about this? If you have any knowledge, I would ask you to share it with me. I would appreciate it a lot.

Hello. Hyperthyroidism means you have high levels of thyroid hormones in your blood. These hormones can affect your heart. Sympathetic part of autonomous nervous system is highly active in this disease. This system is very important in regulating heartbeats. You can say that hyperthyroidism causes fast arrhythmias. In fact, about 5 to 10% of people suffering from this disease have arrhythmias. You should talk to your doctor and see what he will tell you. Mostly, people with this disease take propranolol which decreases the high activity of sympathetic system. I hope you will feel better.