i was recently diagnosed hyperthyroid (by my totally useless physician), and i'm now waiting to get into see the endocrinologist. until then, i'm just dealing with the symptoms, and while most of them are tolerable, i'm constantly winded. and, my resting heart rate has jumped from 52 to 80. i desperately want to run, but i'm exhausted. any recommendations/anecdotes/etc. from you lovelies?

hyper or hypothyroidism? I don't have it, so I can't say with any authority but textbooks say symptoms of hypothyroidism include fatigue, weakness, excessively cold, depression, weight gain...I think of hypothyroidism as fewer thyroid hormones that rev the metabolism (hypo) so, the metabolism slows, so, weight goes up, your body doesn't heat itself like it used to so you are cold, you don't have the energy, so you are tired, etc. Hyperthyroid is the opposite effect: too much thyroid hormone (hyper) the ramping up of the metabolism, so you have excessive energy, prevents you from sleeping, you're constantly too hot, can't keep weight on, irritibility, etc. etc. I don't know what is done for hyperthyroid, but I know Synthroid or other thyroid replacement hormones are prescribed for hypothyroid and you should be able to function normally, but obviously your doctor can tell you what limitations you should observe. Meanwhile, I'd only do what you feel comfortable doing...ie if you're too tired, don't run, no guilt. Wait until it all gets worked out.

hyper. i know quite a bit about hypo, as my entire family is afflicted with it. i went the other way. poo.