Hi, guys. My mother has been recently found palpitations. Doctor sent her to run some tests and it appears she has higher function of thyroid as well. I would like to know whether there is a link between palpitations & hyperthyroidism. I would really appreciate to all who answer this question.

Hello. Palpitations are quite common symptom for people with hyperthyroidism. Excess of thyroid hormones affect heart beating. The changes in heartbeats are a result of a change in a nervous control of the heart. There are more than 90 beats per minute and this even occurs during the sleep. Heart also pumps a larger amount of blood into the blood vessels. Your mother’s doctor should know some details. I hope your mother will feel better. Good luck!

Hello there,

As care has already mentioned there is a link and your doctor should give you details and answer all your questions. And you shouldn’t be afraid to ask anything you need to know and anything you are interested to find out. Very often we are afraid to ask our doctor things we would like to know just because we are afraid that they will think we are stupid and strenuous. But keep in mind that you have right to know and that is their duty to keep us informed about everything we need and want to know regarding our or in your case your mother’s condition.

She will probably get some medications for hyperthyroidism and she will be fine if she follows the doctor’s tips.