I cut my thigh about 5 days ago, and it is still bleeding. I didnt think it was that bad or that serious, but im thinking i could be wrong. It has never been this bad. Is this normal? How long should a cut bleed before it is serious and dangerous? How do i get it to stop bleeding?(cant go to a doctor).

Hi Little,

Describe the cut? How much are you bleeding?

At this point I do think you need to seek medical attention. The cut may be deeper than you thought or you may have damaged an artery. In general the blood should clot fairly quickly, depends upon the size of the cut.

Some diseases can cause clotting issues.

Try putting pressure on the cut. Leave any bandages in place as they soak, just put another on top.

Hope it helps.

Its about an inch or two in length I guess, its not gushing blood or anything, but it is bleeding through bandaids almost the moment I put them on. I have used liquid bandaid as well as wrap gauze around it. I would rather not get the medical help if I can get it under control, which I think I can. All the other cuts are fine and clotted within a few minutes, but they are smaller and not as wide/deep. I've also never been told I have a clotting disease, but could something else cause it? And thank you, it does help :-D

It may need stitches. 1-2" is pretty big for a bandaid. There are "glues" that the doctor could use to close the wound as well.

I'd still suggest seeing a doctor, 5 days is a long time to be bleeding.

Since your other cuts stopped bleeding it is unlikely to be a clotting issue.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I got it checked out, and you were right, I do need stitches, or some type of super glue. I asked/showed one of my medic friends(who flipped out) and they almost took me to the ER right then and there. I convinced them otherwise. I will get it checked out by a Doctor tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. thanks again for the help :-)

Glad to have helped.

Good luck.