I have always had a large number of moles. I blame my father. Ha!

Several years ago, my primary care doctor froze the largest of the bunch off of my chest and back. No, she didn't think they were cancerous but they were painful when it came to my clothing (and my baby niece..she thought they were fun to play with). She did tell me, however, that the large number of moles made me more likely to develop skin cancer and I should keep an eye on the ones I had left.

I still have quite a few left, most of which I don't care about one way or the other. But there are a couple in particular I want gone. One is right at joint between my inner thigh and pelvis and is irritated by my underwear. Another is under my arm. And both are in places that are difficult for me to see. I've been told how important it is for me to monitor my moles but I can't really see these very well and I admit it makes me a bit paranoid.

So, I'd like those two moles gone. Unfortunately, I have a new doctor now and more than ever there are issues with my insurance okaying "cosmetic" procedures.

Are there safe and effective means by which I could remove them at home? I've been researching and come across a few ideas but I don't know if they work. Can someone advise?

One site said to tie a hair around the base of a raised mole to cut off circulation and let it die. Does that work? Does it cause other problems?

Another site said to apply aloe vera and a bandaid and it would dry up and fall off...true?

Any other ideas?

Aloe Vera killing off a mole? I've never heard this before and wouldn't doubt it to be a tale and onlt that. Now tieing a hair? Considering you'd have to tie off the mole pretty tightly, the hair would likely snap before you get to that point.

What i would suggest is heading up to your local pharmacy store (like walgreens or the sort) and buying a home-removal kit for moles and the likes.

It can be a bit of a sting to get them off by yourself (as they're not quite as fast and effective as the doctor method) however they should remove them all the same.

tie a hair around the base. It works. I have done it before

I did this for my wife - but it was not "hair" I used dental floss. that stuff is thin and really strong. She said it hurt when I tightened it, so I don't think it tighten it enough. It took about a week. first it fills up with blood, then falls off. I think if it was tighter it would work faster.

hers was under the arm and got tender - like a boil. fell off in about a week leaving no scar.

Just found this post. Wanted to check that what I did was okay! Seems okay. Yep.

I had a brown lumpy mole on my upper arm which I hated, but the doc said there is nothing wrong with it and wouldn't chop it off. Been there for 45 years. Darn irritating and sometimes pain - rubbed against sleeves, handbag strap etc.

So I used dental floss and tied it off a few days ago with a slip-knot and more knots on top it that one. I could feel the floss cutting into the flesh under it. Youch! And then waited. Impatiently. Some people say this method leaves a scar. Who cares. A tiny scar is MUCH better than an ugly lumpy old dark brown mole. I suppose if it's on the face it's a different matter entirely.

Exactly as described in the above post, it filled up with blood which oozed out and made it stick to the plasters, even swelled up a bit, was sort of sore on contact. I dressed it twice a day with glucose powder to stop infection (works with all wounds including bed sores and skin ulcers in the elderly) and a plaster.

3 Days was too long for me, so last night I tied another bit of dental floss tighter around it. That hurt. This morning it was flat and dried, looked like a dark burgundy flat dried mushroom!

It looked so creepy, but was still attached so I cut it off with scissors, it had a stalk about 2mm wide. Wasn't that sore, then I dressed the cut with glucose powder and stuck a plaster on it like I would any cut or scrape. It's not sore any more.

Better still, it's a not there to catch and rub on my clothing.

Yee ha!

I thought I was the only one who tried removing a mole. I had one under my arm. I twisted it left and right for about a week. It finally fell off. I have them all over my back, and they stick out. The worst one is under my bra strap and irritates the heck out of me. I have often thought of tying the rest off, but I really can't reach around to my back and I am too embarrassed to ask a family member. I don't wear backless anything. I don't know if having them removed by my physician is covered by my insurance. I am so grossed out by my own body.

I've tied off many with dental floss! Probably 10-12 on my own body, and a few for friends. Clean area well, wear gloves, and use a NEW package of floss. Tie a slip knot and tighten it every 20 minutes to the point of slight discomfort. An average mole will be dead in about 60-90 minutes. Waxed floss will slip, so I use plain. The last tightening often cuts right through the skin (and I tie deep at the base...almost under the mole). Many times the last tightening results in the severed mole tied into the string.

I did 4 for a friend all at the same time. She and I watched a movie, and I tightened the floss every 15 minutes. The movie ended and she was mole free!

I forgot to mention- there is relatively no bleeding. After the mole is gone, I put a dot of antibiotic ointment, and a small bandaid, and advise the person to avoid scratching or washing the spot by rubbing too hard.
The friend healed with no scars except a tiny white dot on the back of her neck from the biggest mole. That mole had bothered her for decades, and she can't even feel the spot now.

How did I get the idea? A GYN doctor advised a friend to use hair to remove a huge skin tag. I helped her, but we used thread. Dental floss is actually stronger and has no dye.

A hair is probably too thin to do the job right but dental floss definitely works. I had a mole in the exact same place you do (where my pelvis and thigh connect) and I just used regular floss to remove it. You have to make sure the floss is sterile and the area around the mole is clean before you tie it off. It has to be tied pretty tight (until you feel slight pain but not too painful). Then you should tie a new piece of string tighter around it every day, make sure to remove the floss from the previous days.

It only took 5 days for my mole to come off. On the first day and second day when you tie it off it should fill with blood and swell. On the third day it should start to shrink, shrivel and dry out. On the 4th and 5th days it will look somewhat like a raisin (dark and shriveled) and be hard. Then you should be able to pull it off with almost no discomfort or you can wait another day or so and it will fall out. Just as a note, the tighter you tie the string, the faster it falls out. If the string is loose it will take longer.

After the mole falls off just rinse it with some rubbing alcohol then cover it with polysporin and a bandaid and it will leave only a tiny unnoticeable mark.

Go see a dermatologist and have him 'shave' them off. He will inject a little bit of painkiller, and then take a razor blade and cut it off.
They will then put on some solvent to stop the bleeding, and put on a band aid and send you home.

I just successfully removed a mole using dental floss. I've had two moles removed by my dermatologist; she injected them with a numbing medication then scraped them off with a scalpel. They were big hanging-type moles...like giant skin tags. She even said these kinds of moles are rarely cancerous. She only had them tested so the insurance company would pay for the removal. 

The one I just did myself was in a "private" location so I was uncomfortable going back to have it removed.  I tied dental floss around the base of it and tightened it about once an hour.  It was only mildly uncomfortable, like being pinched. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol every time I tightened the floss.  It eventually swelled up and even filled with clear fluid - like a blister. The "blister" popped and then it started to really fill up with blood.  At one point, I could no longer tighten the floss, so I just left it alone.  Then next day the mole was flat.  I tried to remove it but it hurt, so I left it alone for one more day. Today, I told myself I would just cut it off even if it hurt.  First I put Vaseline on it, then I twisted it a little and it fell right off.  No pain at all.  All in all, the process took, five days. There was no external bleeding, there is no scab left, nothing. When the doctor removed my moles, there was lots of bleeding (controlled in the doctor's office), an ugly scab for two weeks, and a light scar.

I'm really happy with the way things turned out. 

...with a $300 bill. Just use any anti-septic to clean the area and cover it with bandaid. :)

I did the floss trick for a mole on my stomach that was about the size of a new eraser on a pencil. It stuck out and I was self concious about taking of my shirt for over 20 years. It worked well, in 4 days it was gone just like described above. Used alcohol swabs and antibacterial cream ointment to make sure of no infection. Very pleased.

Plus saved a boat load of money.

I tried the tie off method.
I have a little mole, 2-3mm near my groin and it rubs on underwear or pants, ect. so i tried the tie off method and it was fine for 2 or 3 days, Its been a week and it swelled up with blood,  its double its size, and it turned whiteish. so i poked it with a pin and squeezed out the blood.
Im wondering if that was a good or bad idea? it was really tender and it never scabbed over like anyone elses, and it never went flat. I cant remove the strings now, so Im kinda stuck them.

I caught my mole and it ripped but was still attached have tied a thread of cotten around the base and its slowly turning black and going dry,, is this normal before it falls off or should I untie and go to the doctors,, mole in private place hence wld like to not have to go but don't wanna be doing myself more damage,, can anyone help please...