hi, yesterday I went to my martial arts place. The instructor told me and another guy to wrestle. As the other guy was stepping forward to grab my leg, his foot hit my big toe's toenail. My toenail immediately started bleeding and I believe it sort of flipped at some parts. Today, it is still very dark under the nail. What should I do?
Update: It's still bleeding under the nail - I've been bandaiding it since two days ago. And washing it with peroxide.

It sounds as though the toe nail had lifted completely from the nail bed. The dark color is coagulated blood. If you want to see the doctor, now is the time. Otherwise continue to wash your feet with soap and warm water. I think peroxide may be a bit harsh as peroxide can damage exposed healthy tissue. Use antibiotic cream before bandaging it. Be on the lookout for infection. It will take a long time for the new toe nail to overgrow the damaged part.

So I just keep disinfecting it with soap and wait for the toenail to fall off by itself and for a new nail to grow back? Thanks

hurryup wrote:

hoseclamps wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what you'll need to do. Be careful though! A friend of mine actually lost a piece of his toenail when he was 5 or 6 and when it grew back, it was all white. He came to find out that he had somehow gotten a fungal infection so you do need to make sure that you keep yourself really clean while it heals because it can definitely get infected or worse if you are not careful with it. I think that if it still is painful that it might be a good idea to talk to a doctor just to be sure. Let us know how you're doing!

Now, five days later or so, it has stopped hurting basically, unless I walk sometimes. The root of the nail is becoming brighter in color, so is it possible that the nail will not fall off?

bluedog wrote:

hurryup wrote:

hoseclamps wrote:

Now five days later, it has stopped hurting basically. One thing, the root of the nail has become a lighter, almost normal color, so is it possible that the nail will not fall off? Thanks

Oops, after taking off the bandaid this morning, I noticed that half the nail was dark, and the bottom half was a dark pink. So it seems that it is going to fall off. My question is, when it falls off, I won't have anything at the nail bed? Until the new nail starts growing? Thanks

That is correct. That is a very ripe time for infection, at least for the first couple of week so do try to treat it and make sure that you use a hydrocortisone cream or something like that so that you don't get a fungal infection like my poor friend did. Keep it wrapped up and bandaged for a week or so and then you can let it open air for awhile. I'd probably still wrap it loosely when walking around with socks on or something too. Does that help?

I've noticed that at the opening of the nail, there is solid white stuff (maybe the clotted blood?) - what should I do about that? Disinfecting the nail won't work because of it because it's blocking off the entrance to the nail. Thanks

That's probably not the clotted blood but instead something that caused the nail to chip? Perhaps it's a good idea for you to see a doctor after all and at least have the wound professionally dressed so that there is no chance for infection. What do you think?

My toenail did not chip. Someone's foot hit the tip of my long toenail very quickly. The nail is completely attached, but is dark near the top of the nail.

I see. Well, I think that in light of that, then maybe it does not need medical attention. I'm just trying to give good advice without being able to see it so I'm sorry if it's a little obtuse. I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on it and if it gets painful or anything like that, seek out a doctor, okay? Keep me posted on how it's going.

I lip up my nail but it didn't come off my nail is still on at the bottom but the pain is unbearable I have been using witch hazel on it but anytime my feet is cold the pain comes back and it hurts so bad