Running has become a part of my life. I cannot imagine not running. I have a friend who has made a substantial progress. He claims that he did it because of cross training. I am considering cross training too. What do you think about cycling as cross training for running?

Cross training is very popular since it gives many benefits. Some of them include:
• Improved leanness
• Greater average workout intensity
• Greater strength
Runners who cycle can improve their quadriceps strength enough to become very good at hill running. Also, they can improve the 'anaerobic' capacities of their quads to such an extent that they could more easily achieve high running speeds. Learning to mentally tolerate a super-tough bike workout can help you to better cope with the fast running pain.
Most runners are abusing their legs. Since they run when tired, hurt, run so much that they never really let their leg muscles recover completely, switching over to bike workouts can at least help to partially recover them. It prevents the damage done when a tired runner concludes that another 20 mile is just what he needs to improve his form.