I'm a keen club runner of over a decade's experience, but over recent years I've become more concerned about regular injuries. The latest crazy plan is to try to do nearly all my training on an eliptical trainer especially the distance work.
What I want to know is how to compare miles/time/calories on my eliptical with a running session.
Any help appreciated.

The eliptical has a button that will show you how many miles you have gone....which has to be an average I would think and not an exact....but it is a great way to cross train!

I've had some advice and it appears the best way to replicate running is to have the machine set on a fairly low resistance and to try to have your leg speed at or around the speed you'd run at, which isn't easy.
I've noticed that if I have the resistance set at about halfway, where I can just about feel it's effect, I have a leg cadence maybe a smidge below that of my running for a given time and my heart rate is at about running speeds.
Also the miles my machine says I've covered are about the same as the kilometers I'd have covered running when I have the machine set up this way.
With any luck I'll have my first race since I've been training this way, on Sunday ' league cross-country ' , so the results should give me a clue as to how well the new regime is working.