I was running on a treadmill a few years ago and liked it. I would get on my treadmill and listen to my radio and run. No cold weather on my ears, no dogs, no cars. I simply would get on my treadmill and get my exercise routine done and not waste time driving to a health club and back. I thought it was nice until it started to get to my knees so I quit
at that time. I had the doctor to check my feet and he said that they are ok and I did not do any damage to them.
Now am trying to start running again but every time I start it start my ankles start bothering me. My routine is much less than it was a few years ago. I walk on the treadmill for 0.20 miles then run for 0.30 miles. I do that for at least a 3 mile length. Sometimes I do it for
4 miles.
I am not the health club type. I just would not keep up an exercise program that requires me to get in the car and drive 10-15 plus miles to exercise. That plan would not last. If I try to start running in the neighborhood I will probably get hit by a car or something . Going to a school or park would put me back into an everyday
drive routine that would not last.
So I am looking for an alternative treadmill running routine. A routine that I can say at home and burn almost as much calories as running on a treadmill. A routine that I could listen to a radio while I am exercising like I do when I run on my treadmill.
Maybe I should buy a better treadmill?? If so, what brand and what model and is there any good places to buy one. Maybe I should just walk on the treadmill with leg weights or something like that. If that is an alternative, any suggestions on a routine
with weights? If I buy another exercise machine I would like to spend the money to buy a good one. Some people have suggested elliptical exercise machine if that is a solution. Maybe I should buy and try one of them? I don t want to overspend money but I do want a device that would serve my needs. Any suggestions here??
thank you,

Maybe it's not your feet, maybe it's your shoes. Are you wearing running shoes? Replaced them over the last three years?

There's a big spectrum of treadmill 'softness' out there. NordicTrack has some Durasoft "Reflex deck" models which some runners on the boards here have actually called "too soft", but might just be perfect for you.

Another form of cross-training that I include a couple times a week is indoor rowing. As exercise equipment goes, rowers are real good value on the dollar. The rower is perfect for a 'full-body' workout plus it does wonders at quad and shin strength, which I've got to think would be helpful with problematic knees if your quads get some extra strength.

Also worth throwing out there to think of is whether you have a road bicycle. If so, or if you got yourself one, you could buy a trainer-stand to pedal away the winter and again, build up those quads. It's totally reasonable to get yourself set up with some slightly used equipment like a road bike and trainer for around $200.

All in all, combining some bicycling or rowing and a few days of the week outside on soft surfaces like grass, gravel, trails or snowy shoulders (depending on where you live) your knees will become a back-burner issue. :D
Let us know how it goes!

Hi, I have the exact polar opposite of your problem. I can only run outside. I am pigeon toed and whenever I attempt a run on a TM I can't stay on the darn thing!! QUITE EMBARRASSING when the gym is crowded, I've given up. I can't stay in a straight line unless I am holding onto the rails, and needless to say that just doesn't work running. So as an outdoor only runner, I don't know what to do now that its slushy and icy outside, I really wish I could do the TM to get more runs in. Winter is always so hit and miss depending on weather!!

My shoes are New Balance Running show. My doctor said to use a firm
shoe instead of spongy shoe. They are regularly replace. As far as a bicycle, I have a Airodyne but it seems like using the Airodyne does
not burn the calories like the treadmill.
thank you,