I have an injured foot which means i cant run for a while, so in an effort to maintain muscles, fitness and endurance, i throught i would take up cycleing for a while. So i went on a 40 minute bike ride last night and i pushed as hard as i could, but i never seemed to break out in such a sweat or get out of breath as i do in running, also it seemed to excersie different set of musles from runnning. So my question is, actually how good is cycling for maintaining running form?

As far as maintaining running form... it's probably worthless. Like you said, it is different muscles and it's a different motion. Biking is much better than doing nothing though. It will build up your quads, making hill running easier. And it'll keep you from losing everything when it comes to aerobic capacity. I used to feel like you do about not breaking a sweat or breathing hard. I found that my quads really weren't in good enough shape to give my lungs a workout. My legs would always get worn when I really pushed it, whereas in running it's always the other way around. Then there's the 4-1 mileage ratio. If you're pushing it for 4 miles on a bike, that's like pushing it for a mile running. It's hard while you do it, but you can recover pretty quickly from the mile. Keep up the biking though, I'm sure you'll notice more difference within a few rides.

Cheers, so is there anything i can do other than cycling that will be more suited to maintaining or improving my running form?

The elliptical machine is probably your best bet.

I was talking outside of the gym, becasue i cant really afford it, but its looking like i might be forced to go down that road!

in an indirect way cycling can improve form for running. Most form gets bad once fatigued. cycling will allow you to build/continue an aerobic program without the damage caused by running. this will improve your aerobic conditioning, hencs prolonging fatgue and thus improving your form.
as for just running form with minimal damage to your foot, you could try a pool. if you have a commuity pool get one of the aqua vest and do some pool jogging, however if you get bored on a treadmill, this can brain numbing.

try swimming instead. swimmers run to stay in shape when they know they're not going to be swimming for a while, so I think it'd be beneficial for you. plus, there's no pressure on your injured foot!

:)

As long as it doesn't hurt to push off the wall. When I had a stress fracture in my foot, it hurt like heck to push off the wall. Probably more than walking or running.

haha well in that case you can always just turn next to the wall and not use it. i dislocated my knee once and when i came back to swimming my coach told me to just take my time and turn at the wall but not use it.
lol my words are confusing.