I have had a Ranula, large cyst under my tongue on the floor of my mouth. I removed it twice but it keeps coming back. Somehow that cyst under tongue looks like bubble now. My surgeon suggested maybe removal of salivary gland might be the next step. I would like to know if that is right before I perform this surgery.

A ranula is large cyst that forms in the floor of the mouth, or under tongue. That is soft and squishy are under the tongue, very acceptable for those cysts. Usually the reason for cyst under tongue is obstructed salivary-gland duct. Ranula means frog like referring to the way frogs inflate the skin below their mouth when they croak. Minor salivary gland cysts cause typically small bubbles on the inner surface of the lower lip. Ranulas are goliath sized version of these bubbles. I guess your surgeon already made marsupialization of cyst, yet it keeps coming back. Probably that is the reason he is suggesting an approach that is a bit more aggressive. Remove entire cyst under tongue and that puppy cannot possibly return. Because the gland is usually attached to the cyst, removal of the cyst involves removal of that gland too.

ronica, or anyone else who has had this problem, please help!
my 16yr old has had a ranula removed twice and now it is back again. Has anyone gone the next step and had the salivary gland removed, and if so, how was it and did it solve the problem.

i m facing the same problem rt now wt should i do

My daughter had her sublingual gland removed and they are still coming back more frequently than pre surgery. At a loss, don't know what else to do. Its painful, and I don't want her to have multiple surgeries over this.