I am 24, and I have had a yellowish/white cyst looking spot on my left side tonsil. I realized it was there when I had a sore throat about a year ago then I forgot about it. I noticed it was still there a few months ago. I thought that maybe it was a tonsil stone, but it is not. It is a oval shaped bubble like thing. I tried to scrape it off with no luck. No pus came out. Now, since I picked at it, I am having pain on that side off and on, and a swollen lymph node under my jaw on that side. What is this? I have nothing else wrong with me, and I feel fine. The only illness of importance that has ever happened to me is mono. I had a horrible case and I was hospitalized for about a week. The doctors said they had never seen tonsils as bad as mine were. They almost blocked my airway. But, that was over 7 years ago. What is wrong with me?

Another thing...I am having a constant "itchy" type ear pain on that side. Now my whole tonsil on the left side is swollen. It looks like you could almost pop it with a needle. There are also a few other tiny ulcer looking spots now. I am sceduling an appointment with an ENT next week, but I would kind of like to get an idea what this may be before I go.

I just came back from the ear Nose and Throat Doctor and he said I had a tonsil cyst. All he did was numb my throat with this awful tasting stuff!... and then he popped/drained it. It did not hurt at all! Try seeing a Ear Nose and Throat Dr. they might be able to drain it for you. ( I had my cyst for a year before I went to the ENT Dr.) It was so fast to drain it and now its gone.

I just had a dr appt for something just like that.
Have had a sore throat on and off for a month then got a cold and it got really bad - really sore, left tonsil really swollen and a weird itchiness, and the ear on the same side feels sore and kinda itchy inside. I had a look (hehe my table lamp shining in my mouth, and a handheld mirror, using a chopstick to hold my tongue down) and there appeared to be a tonsil stone underneath and some gross buildup behind it. I scraped the "tonsil stone" off and it wasn't a tonsil stone at all, but all p***y, and the thing at the back was all pus too. So I went to the dr, and she told me I have a bit of an infection, and the thing behind my tonsil is a cyst. She prescribed me some antibiotics to clear it up and told me to come back if it doesn't go away.
Having it drained sounds good though - I want it to go awaaaaaay, it's so big and gross!

My son had a cyst and the ENT drained contents (dried pus and mucus) but the difficulty now is that the crater, or crypt, is not closing. Site is painless and no halitosis present. I am having him gargle with salt water frequently. Hope tonsillecltomy is not necessary as he is an autistic adult.

I have the same thing. My doctor is removing my tonsils. He said that was the only way to get rid of it!!!!

You are the first person to have symptoms like mine!!!!
Ive been paranoid that i had tonsil cancer or something but what other were saying was tonsil stones wasnt removable like tonsil stones should be. wow...i feel better knowing that its probably not a big deal. ive had my bump for over a month now and the ear pain is progressively getting worse. i didnt have a sore throat before, it always start to hurt when i used to try to play with it, using q-tips, chopsticks, tweezers, and basically anything that would reach back there and not trigger my gag reflex....well i guess i just have to schedule the appointment.

Hey danielzgrl.
Do you think you can get back to me about what your doctor said about it? send me an email when you can. thanks..

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I am speech therapist and about a week ago I got a bad case of sore throat infection. I started experiencing a slight pop in my left ear, but nothing more. I just wanted to check how inflamed my tonsils were and I discovered that I have tonsil stones and a small white lump on my left tonsil. At first I thought it was a tonsil stone and I tryied, of course to remove it, unsuccesfully. The ENT told me I have a tonsil cyst. Later I found out this is not a life threatening problem.. He gave me an antibiotic, Alkalol (mouth gargle for the tonsil stones), and an antiinflamatory medecine. The sensation of "something stuck" in my throat is gone already, but the idea of having a cyst in my mouth still nags me. However, in order to prevent the tonsil stones I decided to avoid eating dairy, as dairy products are one of the most important agents to cause tonsil stones. So far they have not came back....and I think the cyst has already decreased in size....

iv had a whiteish coloured swolen tonsil for about three months and the first thing you see when u look on the internet is cancer i was s******g my self , but it didnt hurt and didnt get any bigger ,now that the weather is changing i noticed my gland under my jaw was enlarged aswell. i dont get any ear pain but i have noticed that itchy feeling . my doctor said if it was cancer i would have lost weight and told me not to worry he gave me some antibiotics but nothing happened so im going back .it seems like we are all suffering from the same thing so i am hoping its nothing .i have been told that its common to get these around april may or august september time anyway ???? .

Glad to read about these. I have one and was referred to E.N & T but cannot have appointment for 5 to 6 months! Obviously they are not considered serious.

Oh my gosh...I have been flipping out thinking this is cancer!! I had a bad cold in May then a few weeks later my throat was killing me...upon investigation I saw a white patch like bubble on my tonsil. I instantly assumed it was tonsillitis (since I've had it 9 times!!) So I made an appt. with my Dr. She didn't even do a culture and assumed it was strep.....so she gave me antibiotics and pain meds and sent me on my way. a week later I still had it there but no pain.....I went back and she said not to worry about it since my lymph nodes weren't swollen....she said it might be something I have to live with!! So I just ignored it....untill yesturday (4 months later) it was still there...same size shape and color. Except I have a pins and needle itchy feeling on that toncil....and ear pain on the same side. Then I noticed another spot forming above it. I truly hope its just a cyst. Everyone elses descriptions sound just like mine. Only thing that worries me is I had cancer cells located on my cervix that I got removed 4 years ago ( I was 21....now 26 ....since then they never returned....knock on wood) I have been worried sick all morning thinking that it somehow had caused me to get throat cancer....but now I feel a little better....Honestly I would rather just have the damn tonsil removed.....having tonsillitis 9 times is plenty for me!! ....plus my paranoia would be lifted a tad if it wasn't there at all....I have an appt. tomorrow.....I will write another post, as I hope it helps someone having the same issues. :-D

Uhg....had trouble swallowing all of a sudden about a week & a half ago. Looked in mirror in car and noticed little white pocket or lump looking thing on my tonsil : ( Never noticed anything like this before. Called doctors and they made me come in next morning. It is way back and I have a bad gag reflex so they couldn't get a good culture but doc said throat looked red and irritated too so gave me a zpac and sent me on my way. Well I finished the antibiotics and the white thing was still there, no more trouble swallowing though. I called a few days after and they said doc wants u to come back in. I thought he'd say nothing to worry about but instead he's sending me to an oral surgeon. He told me it looks like a cyst and the oral surgeon will make sure it's benign! Now I'm freaking out. Reading these other posts has helped some. My apt is the day before Christmas Eve so I really hope he's not going to do anything to irritate it...I don't want to be feeling crappy for Christmas. I'm 38 and I've never smoked but I do have a bad sinus history. I assumed it had something to do with that but now I'm not so sure. UHG! Does anyone else have a really bad gag reflex? How do they get back in your throat when that is the case ?

A while back I started getting a strange feeling at the back of my throat, like the feeling you get when you have a cold and the contents of your nose runs down your throat. Also i got a cough a year ago (about the same time as the feeling) basically i coughed that much that my throat became inflamed to the point that if i coughed even once i would gag and be sick which would then lead to my airway closing shut and me not being able to breath. Even laughing would set it off and i'd stand there gasping for air unable to take a breath. anyway, after that cleared i noticed to sort of lumps on each tonsil, they weren't giving me any pain so i though nothing of them. A few months later i noticed they were still there so i made an appointment with the doctor who told me i had tonsil cysts and prescribed me a serious of nasal sprays and anti biotics. These were useless and made no difference. It's now a year since i first noticed them, they are still there only slightly bigger. I have an appointment with an EN & T specialist tomorrow so we shall see what they have to say, hopefully they can drain them and that will be the end of it. Really do not want my tonsils removed!

I've had the same issue. Initially, the doctors downtown couldn't figure out what it was...so they prescribed me 800MG ibuprofen. Which was horrible because I could hardly breathe. Some months down the road it was bothering me to where I couldn't breathe again, so I got fed up and went to my primary doctor on base (I was in the military at the time). He pointed out it was a cyst. Nice. WORST thing you can do is pop it because all the nasty bacterial fluids will go down your throat.

As bad as it sounds, the best solution was two shots of penicillin -- one just above each butt-cheek (trying to keep it clean here). You might walk funny, but in just a couple days the cyst was gone.