I have a stone in my right side submandibular gland and my Dr. wants to surgically remove it by making an incision in my neck........i am terrified!
Has anyone ever had shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) to break the stone down rather than surgery. He also mentioned that if I do nothing, it is possible that it could turn into a cancer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

hi! I had a 12mm stone in my left submandibular gland and I refused to have the gland removed. I ended up having a saliendoscopy whereby the stone was removed from inside my mouth without having to remove the gland.

I am having saliendoscopy on Monday. Was the procedure successful? How is the recovery?

Hi there,
The stones in your salivary glands can be very problematic and they often cause swelling in your cheek and whole face. The fact is that there are several options to treat this condition but most often doctors suggest surgery. You have to understand that this is not complicated procedure and you won’t have any adverse reactions after the procedure. There is also an option of shock wave where ultrasound waves are used to break the stones in to smaller pieces. Then the broken fragments are passed out along the salivary duct. There is also probing into the duct form inside your mouth to release the stone. You should be safe with the surgery.
All the best,
Danella

This is an awsome site! Found cause I'm researching what could possibly be my daughter's problem. In late Oct. '11 she called complaining that her ear and neck were swollen, that it had started a couple days before. I was alarmed when I seen her. She had no fever, sore throat, not really too sick, just a headache. But the swelling was shocking enough and I was perplexed at the lack of other symptoms, so off to the er we went. She was slowly beginning to feel worse, it was becoming more painful. Routine stuff was done plus a cat scan which indicated an infection of the salivary gland. We got the meds, I took her to my house. Later that night her headache was really getting bad, she asked for a blanket, said she was cold and I KNEW..I bet she's got a fever now. 102. She said she had taken Motrins when this all started, so I thought, maybe that was keeping her fever at bay and now it's finally showing itself. But her EAR! This is one of the things I noticed nobody else had said. I mean, her ear swoll and literally GREW at least three times it's normal size!! And her neck was swelling all out, I freaked. Back to the er..she was poked and poked, we learned she was allergic to vagimicin (I know that is 100% mis spelled and pronounced), poor girl, she got a dose of ?dilota? in her iv...well they admitted her and said they needed to be more agressive with the antibiotics, for her to stay and get them intravaneously. She stayed four days and continued to go to outpatient iv therapy for like seven more days, something like that. Now three months later her ear is swelling again. She took herself to the er and has got her start on the antibodies, but I just noticed her diagnosis on her hos. paperwork is celluitis. I dont think thats what it is, she didnt get a cat scan this time, however I hope the meds do their job anyway. I hope I dont have to take her back. Seeing this site, I see that this is something that can recur with people, I have not yet been told of possible stones or cancer tumors, she is 22 and only moved out two weeks before the first time this happened. What's the deal with diet I'm seeing, can certain foods cause this? She does drink alcohol too much, eats almost only pizza and smokes. I know, I know. She's still my baby and I cant stand to see her suffer and now I'm worrying about worse things. 

I have the same problem today,could you tell me if you had yours removed

Hi.

the right person for you is professor mark mcgurk.

Please tell me who did the procedure for you. I am facing the same thing. Thank you, Louise B

Hi when I had a large stone in my submandibular gland, ( which worked its own way out through a duct under my tongue) the gland itself then shriveled up and had to be surgically removed x

I am having my submandibular gland removed soon also. Can anyone share their experience with it?

I had my left submandibular gland removed on February 1, 2016. It was a chronic infection that's been going on for three years. I removed a stone from a salivary duct under my tongue three years ago. I was given antibiotics and pain meds and I was fine. The following year, my ENT helped me pass small stones through the same salivary duct under my tongue, prescribed me antibiotics and pain meds. I was fine before the meds ran out. This year, my next swelled up like no other and pain was so severe. I went to ER and got admitted with IV antibiotics. I was visited by an ENT (my ENT was out of town so he recommended a colleague). Two days later, I had surgery to remove my submandibular mass. A few days later, incision was infected. I drained pus and liquid out for over two weeks. ENT just kept prescribing more antibiotics. Two weeks into draining my own infection, a huge stone pops out of the incision. Furious, I sought another ENT for a second opinion. I was told to go cal to my ENT surgeon. Ugh. Five days later, ENT was totally surprised. He helped drain the last few drops by way of syringe. Recovery from that point on was good. Until just recently (1.5 months post surgery) the muscles/skin around the incision is swelling again! Wtf! Should I be worried that it could be malignant?