My daughter has diagnosis of salivary gland disease. The doctor examined history carefully, made physical examination and some laboratory tests. He suspected an obstruction of the salivary glands under tongue, so now he wants to dilate the duck to help some obstructive stone pass. Before that he needs dental x-rays. I don’t understand what causes it, she is so young?

Mayor salivary glands are parotid, submandibular and sublingual glands. They secrete saliva into our mouth. Beside these there are many tiny glands called minor salivary glands. They are located in lips, inner cheek area and extensively in other linings of mouth and throat. Some of the reasons for occurring problems with glands under tongue could be the next ones. Obstruction to the flow occur common in submandibular glands because stones have formed. Symptoms occur when patient eating. Infection can develop in the pool of blocked saliva. It leads to more severe pain and swelling in glands. The next is most common salivary gland infection in children mumps. This may appear for example at children that are not immunized. Primary tumors of major glands can grow fast, they could be painful and cause loss of movement of part or all of the affected side of the face. I don’t think this is reason with your daughter, doctor would notice that for sure.