my throat has been hurting since i quit smoking 1 year ago (is this common) it seems under my jaw left and right i have this pain when i poke my finger up to feel around the two lumps what are at each side of my jaw fell inflamed what could this be , has any body has or had this please tell me please iv been to doctors but they tell me its nothing could be stress but i dont no

These painful lumps that you have may have been caused by swollen gland. Glands could have swollen after an infection or some problems you had near the gland for example sore throat. But if your lumps are painful they could be caused by irritation under skin, or a cyst, and in worse cases by cancer. It would be best if you went to the doctors and have those examined!!!!!!

Tumors are not painful. Don't try to scare people like that. If you can move the lump around, then that is a good sign. Tumors do not move easily as they grow on other tissue and tend to be very hard. Probably just a gland or something, but if it lasts for mroe than 4 or 5 days, ahve it checked out.

I'm new to the forum so this is my first post, so excuse me if I'm not posting correctly.

One problem you may have is something that I had several times, some several times very mild and once very painful but easy to fix, and last but not least, very painful and surgery required. Many people have never heard of "salivary gland stones", but they can be extremely painful. Mine occured in the submandibular gland which is the gland under your jaw by your ear. Every time I even thought about food I had terrible pain in my neck and ear (pain radiated there.) Sometimes, the stone are quite small and they work themselves out up through the salivary gland until they are under your tongue and they can be easily removed in the office.

The last and most painful time, I had a large stone which totally blocked the duct. They were unable to get the stone out without operating and because I had a number of stones from the same gland, they said it would just keep producing more. They are not serious, just extremely painful and can cause infection if they block the duct for a relatively long period of time. My gland was removed and I haven't had any problems since. Biopsy was performed routinely and the gland came back negative for any cancer.

You may want to consider this as a possibility, especially if you get any swelling under you ear/neck area before or during eating or you see your pain worsening during these times. When mine was at its worse, I looked like I had the mumps.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

I'm a smoker and I just went to the Doc today because of the same symtoms, he check around in there and said that it might be lymp node stones but to be complety sure he issued a ct scan, which i should have done next week. I'll let you guys know the outcome. I'm done with this, its been going on for almost 4 months three Dr's later, and 3 different antibiotics this last Doc is an ENT specialist so he should get it right.

I have something similar. I noticed that my glands were swelling a lot and I was getting painful headaches. I thought maybe I had the flu, but I had no other symptoms. I went home and washed my face and OUCH, I noticed on my left lower jaw bone a swollen and very hard mass that was painful to the touch. Even more painful, my glands directly under my jaw bone and lymph nodes on that side. I went to the doctor and he told me to see him again in 10 days, maybe it would go away.
Then, I went back and I have hard masses in that tender area under my jaw that are not mobile. My brother died of non Hodgkin's lymphoma, and my dad mouth and throat cancer, so my doctor ordered me to have a CT scan with contrast. I should get the results next week. My doctor said that if I didn't have a family history I would have been prescribed antibiotics.

I get similar symptoms near my ear and jaw. What really makes it worse is alchol, especially spirits, such as, vodka and brandy. I don't have to drink a lot of it to be affected. The pain can be quite severe and my mouth gets cramps and it's hard to even open my mouth. What do you think would be causing this? Even when i touch that area, pushing my finger into it (rdirectly under ear) it's quite tender.

Regards :-)

I've also have been experiencing pain under my ear and somewhat in front of it. My jaw seems to stiffen also and liquor seems to affect it directly. I've had it for about 2 months already and I have heard and read of many possibilities such as TMJ, Wisdom Teeth, and now that I read this forum stones of the glands. Does anybody have any clue on what this might be? To be honest money is tight and to go to a Dentist and waste it when in reality i should have gone to a Doctor would totally set me back.

i give up smoking 3 yrs ago but still continued too scial smoke when drinking the past yr was getting sore throas from it so i stopped 5 wks ago have had two sore throats since and my jaws seem tight and that and my neck aches dont seem to have any lumps afraid to go to doctor any one experience the same kind of effect oh and after a nite out drinking it seems to flare up :(

I just got back from the doctor like an hour ago ive had pain in the right side of my neck extending down to my shoulder and up to my ear and a clicking noise in the right side of my jaw right beside my right ear for almost a year now. He felt my lymph node which I suspected was swollen. However the doctor said it wasnt my glands and that it was a cysts he gave me two choices...get it cut out or live with it he reccomended just living with it and told me to work out my jaw by moving it side to side a couple of dozen times a day and holding a five pound weight in my right hand and lifting my arm from my waist to up above my head a couple dozen times a day like you would move it in a jumping jack and also told me to do it from shoulder to shoulder horizontally. Id say go see a doctor anyways but the exercise should help.

I suggest getting the cyst removed. I had a small movable lump in front of my ear diagnosed as a cyst. I left it alone and it continued to grow. I finally had it removed and the pathology report showed that it was a malignant cyst. I am now 12 years post op and the part of the cyst that was left has now grown. This is a low grade malignancy.

i have that same gland under my jaw also.. well I don't know if its a gland but thats what I call it.. They r always there on each side of my jaw but when I get sick, or when some one is smoking around me a lot, or my tooth hurts I get pain right there. I wiggle them around just like u mentioned [they move].. So to be Honest I don't think that anything is wrong with you.. Maybe your body is getting used to not smoking so they r a little irritated

WOW...Doctors! That has to be the most lame advice I have ever heard! Yes, stimulating the immune system with movement such as the jaw release and arm movements helps The lymph flow which is the body's Army against disease. This is all very simple...And I have the Education and experience to comment.

Swelling and pain are the Body's normal way to react to ANY change from normal...We live in the most incredible hospital in the Universe with Millions of specialist doctors running around healing thousands of invaders every day. Trust your body first, then only after 3-5 days, go see a doctor AND IF THEY TELL YOU (AS ONE DID ME) "IT'S JUST PAIN, LIVE WITH IT", fire the friggin doctor and find another. They are only human, after all, and many humans simply don't care.

So...What this is...It is a simple glandular swelling. It could be allergies (has the wind been blowing?), a reaction to any environmental stimulus such as food or smog. It is quite discomforting but as long as that is all, just know it is your incredible body is working on something and LET IT!

Now, in a case of massive swelling, severe pain, occurs regularly (once a month) or if it last more than 3 days...Go see a GOOD doctor.

After smoking you may have pain as they say it may be glands,as far as I know my dad stopped smoking and ended up with an earache which was cancer of the tongue,that was in 2006,just today I went to the doctor again for an earache with him and now it is cancer of the jaw and throat.So if you get more than a sore throat with earaches that is when I would worry.

Hi there, I have had pain for about a week now just under my jaw bone on the left side. It is tender to touch very painful and makes it feel like my whole bottom jaw on the left side is one big toothache. I haven't noticed any swelling just a lot of pain and tenderness. any ideas would help..