2 days ago whilst eating lunch I experienced sudden intense pain in right side of neck in submandibular area. Almost immediately an enormous swelling appeared and I rushed off to a doctor who diagnosed a blocked salivary duct. He nonchalantly sent me away to suck on lots of lemon/lime sweets to flush out the obstruction and said it should be ok in about 5 to 7 days.

The swelling, accompanied by intense pain increases dramatically when eating anything, including the sweets, and subsides, altho not entirely, within about an hour. It is as big a a very large plum and the accompanying pain makes it very difficult to eat more than a few mouthfuls. I'm female aged 61 and don't want to or need to lose weight.

Also, the area under my tongue, just behind my lower front teeth has become very tender and is discharging a salty, colorless liquid (not unpleasant).

Can a health professional or knowledgeable person advise me if they think the doctor has been too hastily dismissive (he looked in my mouth but not under my tongue), or should I go to accident/emergency or.....?

Also is this disorder known to be stress related as I'm under a lot of stress currently. Please help.

In my opinion the doctor was a bit hasty and didn't take the time to do a proper diagnosis and examination. While he did recommend the most common home remedy, he should have talked a bit more at length with you about the blockage.

The blockage is not caused by stress, but there are several other possibilities, all of which are organic, not psychological.

If I were you I would get a second opinion. Did they talk to you about the Calcium salts that block the salivary or just prescribe the lemons and send you on your way? Normally diagnosis is done clinically with CT, ultrasound, or sialogram, not just a quick peak under the tongue. If a tumor or something is there, you need some advice and better care. It never hurts to get a second opinion, and sometimes a third if need be.

If you live in a country where health care is free or at very low cost, by all means go to an emergency room and get a second opinion from the ER doctors there. Based on your symptoms, I think your doctor is correct in diagnosing a blocked salivary duct, even though the possibility of an infection or a tumor cannot be ruled out. For home remedy, I would suggest taking an analgesic such as aspirin for the inflammation, and submandibular gland massage which may help ease the blockage. Also, eating semi-liquid foods such as soups would help relieve your salivary gland from having to actively force more saliva through the blockage thereby causing more pain.

Hi, it sounds like you have a calcium stone in your salivary gland, the only treatment is removal, antibiotics will not get rid of them!
Google Salivary Calcis and it will give you a lot of information, I had mine removed today, they can remove it in a number of ways, depending where the stone is within your salivary gland.
But definately see another doctor and demand that you want something done. Ask to see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist.
Good Luck
I hope that helps a bit :-)
I feel 100% better now after having mine removed and I can eat again!
Kelly

Go to your dentist - they know more about these sort of problems....