Hi, I am in menopause and used to take black cohosh supplements to diminish hot flashes, which were unpleasant to me. Now, I stopped because it can damage liver. Is it safe or not to use black cohosh? What are dangers associated with it?

Black cohosh is used in herbal medicine for the hot flashes and mood swings in menopause. But, it is confirmed that an autoimmune system disease of liver can result. Autoimmune hepatitis is suspected to be developed due to usage of black cohosh. If you're taking black cohosh, you should perform liver function tests regularly, to control liver functions and stop taking this remedy if any concerns arrise. Patient who had been taking the herb for only a few weeks, before symptoms developed. Some patients complain of abdominal discomfort, or of achy joints and itching. If the skin is getting yellow and the liver can is enlarged, there is a chance of hepatitis.