I am a mother of an eleven year old boy and have been seeing doctors and counselors as well as trying to get help through the school system to find out what was happening with my son. when he was in Kindergarten his counselor diagnosed him with ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) and then slowly he progressed to having ADHD but the diagnosis was not made through the counselor but through his pediatrician. He has been on many different medications for ADHD and there still seems to be some issues. He is in the 6th grade now and is not doing well in school, no matter how hard I try to help him and guide him it never seems to get into his brain. I started noticing my son doing some weird things he says he has to do and can't stop. For example he got a cold and his throat was congested and had to keep clearing his throat, he then even after the cold was gone could not seem to stop the habit (I called it) of clearing his throat and it went on for 2 months. He then started tossing his head to one side and when asked why he said he needed to and would do so until it popped. He said he would fell better but then a few hours or less later he was doing it again. The first thing though I ever noticed was he would rotate his shoulders almost constantly and then complain it was sore. Things are even more weird to me considering I did a few of these same things when I was younger at about the same age he was and is. The one thing I have not seen him do is the eye twitching I had (it was almost like I had to train myself to stop what I called a habit). That for me lasted almost a year before I could get it to stop. I also noticed the muscle spasms that my son has experienced as well. I still do quite a few of these things myself and I have also recently been diagnosed with ADHD. I just want to know what to do because these things are affecting my son at school and at home. He doesn't sleep well and has a hard time getting up in the morning. I ahve spoken with a friend whose son has had Tourette's Syndrome for awhile (he is now 17) and she said that it sounds like a form of it and we should get checked out. I am a little nervous about this especially since I don't have a lot of money being a single mom of two boys. What do I need to do first and should I be worried about these things?

Celebrity
IT could be Tourettes. But it could just be a stress thing. All the other things he has had to cope with could of stressed him out over time.

I do the clearing of the throat when im in a situation im not happy with.

My partner has a lot of twitching habbits. They drive me mad at times. He is a very quiet person that has found it hard al his life to communicate. At school he only had a few friends. He kept him self to him self. I think they are nervous twitches he has develpoed over the years. He likes a routine too. He has certain ways he likes things done.

I dont think my partner has a medical complaint. I think its what life has been like.
The other thing you could consider is Autisum. It could be a very mild version of it.

Ignoring the twiches is best. ITS HARD I KNOW. an not making them an issue.

Maybe it is OCD.

Hi! I have all of these problems exactly in this way. I recommend asking you doctor about antideppressants because they help twitching and odd. I take abilify cuz ADHD medications don't work on me

By the way: I go to a pschyatrist because only they can give antidepressants.