Hi, my father is drinking very much since I know him. He is 55 years old and there is not single day that pass without several beers. He was taking it very good until last few months since when he started to forget some things which happened in the near past. In the first couple of times I thought he was joking with me but now I am sure that didn't. I heard that alcohol may cause dementia so I would like to know something more about it.

Hi, opinions about alcohol and dementia are very different. There are opinions that moderate drinking up to two drinks may even benefit to prevent dementia. Anyway heavy drinking may cause some sort of dementia which has not classic signs. It is more deterioration in intellectual function while memory is not damaged. Also alcohol is neurotoxin which may damage brain in many other ways. Also alcohol may cause Korsakoff syndrome which is anterograde or retrograde amnesia.