My neighbors child was recently diagnosed with cognitive disability. I cannot ask her what it means in her case specifically, and what kind of changes in life she has to make but I wish I could help her somehow. Is it something physical or mental? And what are the possible treatments for it?

Cognitive disability is a broad term. You should find out if it is functional or clinical cognitive disability because there is a significant difference. Some forms of this illness require constant care in almost every aspect of daily routine, while other forms such as attention deficit, learning disability and even lack of visual comprehension can be dealt with through the institutions. Encourage her to tell you directly how can you help, there’s no harm in it.

Hi there,
The fact that she is having cognitive disability means that the mental illness that she has is affecting her cognitive functions like memory processing, perceptions and problem solving issues. If I am not mistaking most common cognitive disorders are amnesia, dementia and delirium. Also there are anxiety, phobia and panic disorders. So as you can see there are varieties of problems that can involve this. Treatment is different for every condition so depending on the condition her doctor will give her proper treatment method. Also psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and delusional disorder are also classified as cognitive mental disorders. I hope you found this helpful in any way.
Best wishes,
Marco