Hi there,

I'm 16 and I recently had my wisdom teeth removed (just Monday, actually). I know that sometimes the healing process takes longer than normal, but it's the fourth day after surgery, and the pain is just as excrutiating as it was the first, the second, and the third day...I don't think it's gotten much better at all!

I revisited my oral surgeon--I didn't have dry sockets, and nothing seemed wrong. He explained that sometimes it just takes much longer for some people than others, and he increased my painkillers.

So my question is this: The pain is still as sharp and I'm doing everything I'm told. Is there anything else I can do? It's so horrible, and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my summer job because I keep adding days off to recover. All I do is sit around the house. Surely there's something else I can do?

-Amanda

The only thing that I can say is that this is not a routine and that it can hurt a lot...Actually, I think that everything that has to do with a wisdom tooth and wisdom tooth extraction can cause a lot of problems. I wanted to remove two of them, but my dentist told me that I should wait for because both of them were complicated. OK, I listened to him. It seems that this was a good choice because he removed one tooth and he was removing him for more than 2 hours. It was a really bad experience even if I was under the anesthesia. But recovery was painful - I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't talk...

I have recently had three of my wisdom teeth removed, many friends and family members told me this was routine and I should have no troubles. It is one week later and I have been in the hospital emergency room with bleeding ulcers from the steriods I was given to heal my open wounds. In addition to that, for some reason unknown to doctors and dentists attending to my condition the prescribed pain killers were aggravating the bleeding ulcers to the point the physicians considered admitting me, administering IV with the nessecary meds in order to avoid my stomach. The advice my dentist gave me during this was to eat better which should take care of the pain...if he only took the time to ask me questions in order to determine if there were something more wrong.....By the way I only took the steriods and pain killers for two days and am still suffering 7 days later.....Had I know I would have let my teeth come in and taken my chances to see if it shifted my teeth...Now dealing with a smelly discharge and pain that I am unable to take anything to relieve but an ocassional tylenol.......

Take the medication as recommended.... and sleep! I didn't feel better for about a week, although, with meds, i could eat after four days.

Thanks

**edited by moderator**

I just had three wisdom teeth removed, now on day 4 and still sore and on pain meds. I was told it took between 4-5 days to recover to work, etc. It all depends on what you do. If you need more time and more meds, take it. you must take the time to heal, so that you can avoid infection, etc. Never listen to the least amount of recover time, it always seems to take longer with me and sometimes people just dont remember how long it actually took them. Good luck

Take ibuprofen, it's been about ten days for me after having all four out and I still have a little pain. Also rinse with salt water a lot. God Bless

Here is my story. I got only 2 wisdom teeth. Thats the only good part. The bad part is that they are both completely encased in the bone and are completely horizontal impacted as well. I'm 24 and I choose to remove these even though I dont have any pain.

The left one is a blast. It took 70 minutes to remove and when it came out, it came out in 8 pieces. The right one is slightly easier, came out in 3 pieces in about 20 minutes. I only have local anesthesia btw. (crazy, i know).

About the pain, I dont feel any during the procedure, but I do hear lots of noises since the oral surgeon has to drill and cut my bone away.

Bleeding stops about 3 hours after surgery. I take vicodin and ibruprofen right after, and every 6 hours for 2 days along with amoxcillin for infection prevention. After 2 days, I stop taking vicodin because there is no pain.

Swelling starts about 6 hours after, but not much swelling occurs because of ice pack. 3 days later swelling starts to go down.

I follow directions very carefully, rinse with warm salt water the day after surgery every 4 hours to promote healing. No dry socket so far, and its been 6 days already.

Tomorrow is day 7, and I have to come back to the surgeon office for check up. Hopefully everything goes well.

Probably the worst part is the diet. I have to stick to liquid for 2 days, then soft diet for another 4 days. Now I'm still on soft diet and I long to have a steak for a change...

Im 22 and a complete wimp! I had my bottom wisdom teeth taken out under general yesterday, woke up from the anaesthesia at 5pm and felt completely fine and normal from then onwards, as if i hadnt even had an operation. I have taken the prescribed medication (antibiotics, paracetamol and ibuprofen) but havent needed the codine they also prescribed. Been able to eat normally from today but swelling has come up gradually throughout the day with no pain at all! Not all wisdom teeth removal cases are bad!

I got all 4, impacted wisdom teeth out two days ago...
came home, hungry as ever..ate HARD foods (even though i could not feel my mouth)
I have back pain every day that hurts 10 times as much as the pain I'm feeling from the surgery, without meds. I'm 16 years old.
I'm longing to smoke but don't want to push it..
Nothing useful, just sharing my experience. XD

Well amanda i know your young, however wisdom tooth is a painful procedure. I'm really not sure why your dentist did not give you ocycodone which is a pain killer that works very well for this procedre. maybe it's because of your age and the medicine is addictive. however your in pain and that for what this medicine is for, and trust me your pain will be gone. So either you or your mom get on the phone to your dentist and demand that he give you this drug. Just becareful with it and only take what it says. 1 pill every 6 hours and no more than 4 in a day.......good luck and call your dentist and tell him to do his job.

Amanda had her wisdom teeth removed over 2 years ago. I think she should call her dentist if she still has pain XD

lmao. Didn't realize the date.

Wow, I'm glad I didnt read the board before I went in this past Monday! Thankfully I can give a better ending to the story than others in the past have. I had all four wisdom teeth removed on Monday August 3rd. They were all partially impacted and one was sideways. I did go under General Anesthesia, but that was my choice. the entire procedure took LESS THAN 20 minutes, and I was out of the office in 50 minutes. Actually less time than going in for a filling! I was given Amoxicillan as a preventative and codeine for pain relief. I did take the codeine pills for the first two days (monday and tuesday), but not as fully as prescribed. I didnt have any pain, but I took them "just in case." By Wednesday, I thought I would try a day without the meds, and I was fine. I have not had any pain whatsoever from the moment the surgery took place. I have been very careful with what I eat, as the site is still sensitive and raw...and don't want to chance damaging the healing process or the dissolving stitches. All in all, for me, it was really easy. I'm 38 and was told that because I'm "older" I would have longer healing and more bruising/swelling. I have very minimal swelling and NO bruising.

So if you are going in for this....dont panic too much. Good luck.

hello i was just wondering, i had gotten my wisdom teeth removed 4-5 days ago now an everything went fine! took all of 20 mins to remove all 4 teeth. I didn't get any sutures at all so i just have the open holes. ( Which i dont like) my problem is so i have been taking care of my teeth like always an rinsing with salt water n this other stuff i got to kill bacteria. Anyways i had figured i might have food stuck in there but i dont think it is no one does. I rinsed an nothing came out. But i have this whiteish / offwhite color inside of my bottom hole. I have been freaking out about it thinking it might be noodles or something but everytime i try to take it out i would bleed alittle. I looked it up many many times to see what it might be an from what i know it might be something called granulating (healing) tissue? Not sure? i just wanna make sure its nothing serious. Im going to go for a check up tomorrow but i was just wondering if anyone could let me know about this before hand cause im nervous.

i had my wisdom teeth removed almost two days ago. it was wednesday morning, and it is now early friday morning (7:30 am or so). i know that everyone has different experiences. some people i talked to had little to no pain, and some had pain for weeks. i know it's only been two days, but i didn't sleep at all last night because of the pain. it's absolutely excrutiating! i took the prescribed meds, and they did nothing at all to help me. my cheeks are huge, and i struggle to open my mouth to more than about one and a half fingers width. i've been icing my face in twenty minute incrimants, as suggested by the destist.

is it possible that i have dry socket? i have also been taking the antibiotics given to me, and trying to be careful about cleaning and rinsing with salt water. if anyone could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated. i'm getting worried. :-(