So, 'cause of the other thread that's ongoing on these boards right now about dermabrasion for acne scars on the face, I was thinking it'd be good to have a chat about the general pros and cons and differences of dermabrasion vs microdermabrasion. Dermabrasion is obviously a whole lot more invasive and you may think you need it even though you could have gotten away with microdermabrasion just as well, know what I mean?

If you've had either done or wanna comment on this please do. What's best in what situation and why? What can you expect from both procedures in practice?

"Dermabrasion" is a combination of two words: derma (skin) and abrasion (removal, essentially).

In dermabrasion, the clinician peels off the outer layer of the skin with a brush, rotating wheel, or other things. It would be extremely painful without local anesthesia. Because an open wound is essentially created, anti-infection measures are extremely important in a dermabrasion procedure as well. You really need to take it easy for around 10 days after the procedure and will look terrible for a while. Dermabrasion takes care of deeper structural issues like deeper scars and severe wrinkles.

Microdermabrasion is different in that aluminum oxide is applied onto the skin instead and these perform the exfoliating action in this case. It doesn't hurt as much and doesn't require anesthesia, nor will the recovery period last as long at all. This is better for people who need a quick pick me up, not severe alterations to their skin.

Microdermabrasion is a fairly light procedure that is performed by aestheticians almost everywhere. It is really no different to any milder peel, with similar results. There is little recovery time and though it may give you a little bit of a boost, it will not tackle deeper problems at all, nothing beyond the most superficial scarring and pigmentation.

Dermabrasion needs to be performed by a doctor (plastic surgeon) and does rid you of deeper wrinkles, scars and sun damage related pigmentation. You need ample recovery time, more than a week, but will also achieve long lasting improvements. 

One thing people here don't seem to be aware of is that microdermabrasions are often done as a course, over six or so sessions, and that the progressive result of all these treatments all adds up. I have mild acne scars as well as some sun damage and decided on microdermabrasion after I was looking for a general pick me up. I am going for six sessions and have had two so far. The result is already amazing and I can only imagine what it will be like once I complete all the six sessions! Microdermabrasion can offer the results you really want, so don't discount it!

Oh, thank you for sharing your experience with microdermabrasion so far! I am glad to hear that your microdermabrasion sessions have been working for you thus far and hope that they will give you the end result that you were initially hoping for by the end of the 6 sessions. I have often had it said that microdermabrasion does not treat anything but the mildest acne scars so I am very interested in hearing more about your overall experience.

Celebrity

Hey,

Dermabrasion can help with deeper acne scars, with other scars (but not extremely deep ones), with wrinkles, pigment changes, and even with some skin growths. Note though, that dermabrasion is not a good option for you if you have recently been using some heavier acne medications, have medical conditions that affect blood circulation, have a tendency to develop keloid scars, or have recently undergone surgery on your face. You should also remember that though dermabrasion can work very well for the above reasons, there are also risks, including that the procedure doesn't work well and you instead develop visible effects from dermabrasion, such as permanent redness and scarring. 

Rosie