Hello! Are there any other diabetics on this forum? I have been living with diabetes for a long time and have some questions. I have never taken any active part in sports, but have been thinking about giving work outs a try. Can taking part in a sport provoke a adrenaline-based reaction in diabetics? Is sport dangerous for diabetics? Are there any other people with diabetes here who regularly take part in sport? Can you give me any tips? Thank you so much.

I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 8 and was swimming about 20 hours a week. swimming didn't provide me with an adrenaline rush so I would just eat a small amount just before a workout. then I move into sports like lacrosse and I work out at the gym 6 days a week when the sports season is over . the gym doesn't give an adrenaline rush but lacrosse definitely does . when I go to the gym, I aim to start at about 130 and I since I have a pump, I unplug it as I please based on how I feel . working out with shots is much more challenging because you have to start a little higher , at about 180 since you cant stop the lantus once it's injected. the only problem is that if you start a workout at above 250, you can actually get higher because of unnecessary adrenaline release. that's why , if you are high, the most effective strategy is to take some insulin (slightly less than you would normally take) and take an easy walk. the exercise will greatly increase the effectiveness of the insulin. at lacrosse games, I usually start at about 100 and test every time I sub out . I play center so I run quite a bit but adrenaline definitely keeps me up. during games, i unplug my pump and my blood sugar stays the same and I might even need juice but after the games, I usually have to increase my insulin usage because the adrenalines effects are still working but I'm not exercising. so if youre going to start working at a gym, your blood sugar will likely drop fast because your not used to it. however, in the long run, your blood sugar will be so much better. it was only a couple years ago that I started going to the gym almost every day and since then my a1c or hemoglobin score has gone from a 7 to a 5.9. I really hope this helps because I know about 200 type 1 diabetes and Ive never met anyone with an a1c as low as mine. exercise makes soo much of a difference and you will feel a million times better. since working out, I've decreased my daily insulin intake by about 10 units. including meals, I will take 30 units of novolog a day . I aim to eat about 20 carbs per meal which helps a lot but if you don't exercise, you can start to feel effects of type 2 diabetes because if your body uses too much insulin, you actually become resistant to its effects