Is self-monitoring of blood glucose appropriate for all type 2 diabetics?  I was just wondering because what if I don't need to watch it?  Maybe just watching my food intake and exercising religiously is good enough?  I mean, people that don't have to take medication or insulin should have to watch their blood sugar?  Going in and having the A1C every so often should be enough if you don't have to take medication.  What does everyone else do with their self-monitoring?  Do you watch your blood sugar even if you don't take insulin or pills?  I think it isn't necessary if you don't take anything.

Self-monitoring is important, even with people who have been diagnosed with diabetes but do not have to take medication.  You do not have to take your blood sugar before every meal or every day, in some cases.  You will want to follow what your doctor or dietician recommends, however.  If you are having good readings for a month, you could cut back to every other day or 2-3 times a week.  Some people hate to prick their fingers so often and it deters them from checking their blood glucose as often as they should.  Is that the case with you?

Yah, I really don't like pricking my fingers. They get sore really fast and it is a nuisance. I think I can do my readings less since I have had good readings for quite a while now. My fasting is around 100 each morning and before meal readings are about 118. I don't see why I have to take them so much if they run good. I have lost about 30 pounds so I think that helped. I am hoping maybe the doc will let me off the hook next appointment if my A1C is good. Thanks for your help.