Hi all. I have problem and I hope someone here will be able to help me out. I’ve had this problem for a long time, so I will begin from the start. Some two years ago I noticed a lump that popped up on the back of my shoulder. I was about the size of a quarter, well underneath the skin, and wasn’t solid. At that time, I had it examined, and it was determined it wasn't cancer. Doc determined that it was just a fluid pocket or growth. Anyway, it has been there ever since. I even notice an odd pattern of it swelling up around the time of my periods. Now, the thing is that it recently changed and I think it hss grown. Also, my shoulder is aching very badly now. About the same time I noticed this, I noticed some pain below my jaw as well – maybe these two things are connected, maybe not. So, I'm very frustrated and confused and have no idea what this realy is !!!
As I'm afraid to go to the doctor unless something is really wrong I first wanted to hear your opinion on this matter. So, any reply will be more than appreciated!!!

I sure hope the professionals that examined your lump did a biopsy. Why?? Well, simply because the biopsy is the one and only way to determine if that was cancer or not. Any time a lump appears on your body you should have biopsy on it immediately. I don’t want to scare you, but I had very bad experience in may family - my dad had a lump, and both his GP and dermatologist said it was just a cyst and not to worry. But, when he finally had biopsy it turned out to be melanoma that had metastisized. By that time it was too late. So, I strongly recommend you to have biopsy – that is the only way to be sure what that lump really is! Take care!

I WANT TO FIND OUT IF YOU KNOW WHY A SMALL BUMP WOULD JUST SHOW UP ON YOUR LEFT SHOULDER?I HAVE HAD IT FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW BUT JUST RECENTYLY I HAVE NOTICED THAT IT HAS A SMALL DISCOLOR TO IT. IT'S ABOUT THE SIZE OF A NICKLE PLEASE REPLY THANK YOU

Hi everyone,

I recently went swimming (it has been a while since i've been active) and days later my left shoulder was hurting it felt bruised and i had a lump which i pressed down on it w/ my fingers and broke it down a bit and then i used heating pads. A couple of weeks later i decided to go to a chiropractor. The chiropractor first put on my entire shoulder a pulsation machine and that gave me a 15 minute massage along w/ a heating blanket, then he worked on my shoulder by putting this icy hot cream and massaged it further and he tried to pop it back but it was hard to do so. His diagnose was that my shoulder had slightly separated and that's why i had created that fluid and do to swimming and overuse of my left shoulder i tore off 2 of my ligaments. Now my chiropractor asked my not to lift my left arm over my head and let it rest and go back to him 6 days later for further therapy and will give me light exercises to do in the beginning and then as the shoulder heals will progress the exercises. Physical Therapy will be a key to this problem.

Visit: parknicollet.com/healthadvisor/conditions/shoulderpain_2.cfm

Causes of Shoulder Pain

Pain in the shoulder may be caused by overuse or be the result of a fall, a blow, or other injury.

Referred Pain

Referred pain is a pain felt in the shoulder that is actually a symptom of injury or illness somewhere else in your body. If you feel sudden pain in your left arm, tightness in your chest, shortness of breath, or pain in your jaw with no known cause, it could be a sign of a heart attack. Call 911 immediately.

I actually have something very similar on my left shoulder too. It's just on the muscle between my neck and shoulder bone. It's a bit bigger than a quarter though. I thought that it was just a knot in my shoulder at first, but it hasn't gone away. It appeared sometime last year too.
It's not noticable unless I point it out. You'd have to compare my two shoulders to see the difference. I know that it isn't just that the muscles are stronger in my left shoulder than my right, because I am right handed. It's very strange, and I'd like to find out what the problem is. I'm planning to see a doctor to ask what it is.

I read your descriptions of your lump on the left shoulder and was amazed. For the last few months I have had this lump growing on my shoulder in almost the same place as yours. (Guest who posted on 2/22/09 at 21:41)I thought it was just a torn muscle, but it has not gone away. It has also not gotton worse. What did your doctor say it was? toddm

I'm very curious to hear how it turned out for someone as well. To the guest above, would you be able to go to a doctor and tell us how it turns out for you? Thanks!

IM 14 AND I HAVE A SMALL LUMP ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DIME ON THE BACK OF MY LEFT SHOULDER I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I HAVE IT OR WHAT IT IS IF ANYONE CAN PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IT IS OR WHAT IT MIGHT BE OR EVEN WHAT I DID TO GET IT PLEASE IM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT THIS

I also have a lump on my shoulder and its been there for almost a year. Recently it had been bothering me more. I went to the doctor and had an Ultrasound and an MRI. The MRI results showed that I could have bursitis, which is basically a small sac of fluid build up. According to my doctor this could be caused due to an old injury, but he never told me what I can do to relieve this. It also seems that when i raise my arm and place it behind my head for just a couple of minutes the lump immidiately flares up. I'm wondering why this happens.

If the lump on your shoulder is under the skin and it feels almost like half of a bouncy ball, it is probably a ganglion cyst. In my experience cysts are hard but you can push on them just a tiny bit, unlike a bone. Cyst often will grow in your wrist but they can grow on other joints as well. A cyst is a pocket of fluid that is gathered when you are injured or are using that joint too much. Cysts can be cancerous as well as perfectly safe. I had 2 in my wrists and now I have one on my back on the joint between my neck and right shoulder. My doctor is running some blood test and if it does not go away she is going to do some more tests on the cyst.

A Ganglion Cyst is a bump or mass that forms under the skin. Most commonly, ganglions are seen on the wrist (usually the back side) and fingers, but they can also develop on the shoulder, elbow, and knee. These form when tissues surrounding certain joints become inflamed and swell up with lubricating fluid. They can increase in size when the tissue is irritated and often can "disappear" spontaneously. These masses or cysts appear to grow sometimes but they are not tumours or cancerous.

Description of Ganglion Cyst Shoulder
A ganglion is a non-cancerous cyst filled with a thick, jelly-like fluid. Ganglions can develop on or beneath the surface of the skin and usually occur between the ages of 20 and 40.

Most ganglions develop on the hand or wrist. This condition is common in people who bowl or who play handball, raquetball, squash, or tennis. Runners and athletes who jump, ski, or play contact sports often develop foot ganglions.

Go to ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed for more information. I found it helpful.

i have the same problem but not exactly the size u guys are talking about... mine is about the size of a small bead "very very small" on my left shoulder and it doesn't have any color. also when i touch it, it feels all gummy "couldn't find the right word to describe it". it doesn't bother me at all, i can sleep good, stretch my arm all the way, move it at any direction... but when i touch it directly "trying to find it" it hurts a little like a little mosquito bite "barely". i dont touch it at all, or put anything on it, or try to push it in. ive had it for almost a month now... and im not gonna lie, i haven't been to the doctor yet or told anybody about it either cause im scared it might be something serious "and im not trying to make a big deal out of it too". im a guy, 18 years old, i use to work-out a lot but stopped for 2 months "busy schedule", and i like to play sports "but i dont play much anymore"..... if anybody can tell me whats wrong with my left arm, or any simple advice id appreciate that.

Did you ever go to the docter. I'm asking cuz I got the same thing and u don't know what it is

Hello, I was just curious. How are you now? Did your lump and pain in him go away?

You have to go to the doctor or else it will grow bigger. Be brave. You have to take a surgery so the doctor could see what's going on and they will cure ingery. I hope this help. Or else you will have a serious problem.