Hi there - I am a Newbie looking for information.  About this knot like thing, its about the size of a bee-bee and it showed up about a month ago. It doesnt hurt or effect use of the finger at all - its just wierd and I wonder what it is.  My sweetheart has a larger knot also showed up on his toe knuckle about the size of a pee. Both are under the skin, not on top like a wart.  I think it is someting we are eating or drinking, maybe related to supplements we take multi-vitamin, D-3, coral calcium, C, cod liver oil, iodine and psyllium and no other meds. We are both in good health. I cant find anything on the internet that matches this possible side effect on any of these supplements so I thought Id try this forum. 

Diana~

What is your age and which knuckle, the one closest to the nail, between nearest the hand or the one between?

Right forefinger, not the smallest one closest to the nail, but then next, the one before you get to the hand. I am in my 50's, 59 specifically.

Diana~
My first guess is that it is a Ganglion Cyst. If it were in the knuckle nearest the nail or you were male, i would guess a Mucous cyst associated with osteoarthritis, but women are more likely to get these betweem the distal and intermediate phlanges and men are more likely to get them between the intermediate and the proximal phlanges. This is just rule of thumb, but either way, whether it is a Ganglion or a Mucous Cyst, it should not be bothered. See your physician about removal. Good luck, any more questions, just ask!

Thank you. I do appreciate your input, and, since it doesn hurt I do not plan to have it removed but was curious as to what it could be. Do you know why they come? I find it curious that my sweetheart got a similar knot on his right foot, middle toe, at the first joint to the nail at approximately the same time (give or take a few days). This would indicate to me something we were both ingesting as the reason from where they come. If you know, please detail for me as Id like to research it further to modify what it is causing it to either eliminate it or see that no further developments occur.

Diana~

Basically Ganglions and Mucous cysts are the same type of thing, caused by different things. Ganglions are associated with the tendons and are otherwise known as tendon sheath cysts, often brought on my injury or irritation, but often times they pop up for unknown reasons. Mucous cysts associated with osteoarthritis pop up near the joints and are like a small leakage trap of synovial fluid from the joint, brought on by spurs in the joint. They can become infected, casuing infection in the joint, which is rather serious. They also can cause some pretty severe ridges in the nail. Most likely your friend's toe bump is a Mucous Cyst caused by arthritis. There isn't much you can do to prevent these things, any more than you can do about preventing arthritis. If they aren't bothering you, you can leave them alone and monitor them for redness or pain, if that occurs, see your physican. You can google Ganglion or Mucous Cyst and go from there or if you have any more questions, ask.

Thank you. I did google both.

I am 58 and a personal trainer. I don't sit around. Yes it the first joint below my nail on my middle finger and my little finger

The one on my middle finger has been growing over the pass few days